Hey Trainwreck / Kalamazoo peeps

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, May 9, 2024.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

they have a motorcycle event every spring at the Gilmore … I was asked by a racing buddy that has some bikes there on loan to come up with the 4FR Team semi for the opening of their Motorcycle barn over a decade ago now… all collections are in barns that they’ve gone out and torn down and rebuilt in the property… so a Pierce Arrow barn… a Packard barn… etc… All the cars are drivable and restored on site… they have a Tucker too…

that’s also of a real racing pedigree as the Foyt/Gilmore Indy Car team…

there is a real 500cc Honda 2T there too…

so worth seeing… very cool place

2. Poop

Poop solid today

my hero

ChemGuy likes this.
  3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

It's only for the summer. Also you can be an absentee owner and just fly in erry once in a while.

Think of the tax breaks...the tax breaks man.

You could flex on everyone and host showings of racing movies on the biggest screen!!!

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

And Pr0nZ

5. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

A friend of a friend ;) snuck into one of those when he was growing up. If I recall, the name of it was the Crest drive in. Someplace northeast of Lansing.

Bigger than life itself! :eek:

6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

The Crest was taken down, years ago... They built a Huge Church on the property, Just east of Lansing in Okemos, on Grand River. At one time there were at least 5 drive in theaters in the Lansing area. The Lansing, The Starlite, Northside Drive In, The Crest, and The M-78 (3 screen multi-plex drive in). The M-78 was great... If you didnt like what was on at one screen, you just needed to look another direction and there were 2 other screens to choose from. Ski

7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The old Thunderbird Drive in is still open here in Fort Lauderdale. It's part of the Swap Shop property, a giant flea market. It's all owned by Preston Henn, who was a pretty bad ass race car driver back in the IMSA Cocaine Cowboy days. There's a few of his cars there on property. I haven't been over there in years because I can't carry that many spare magazines.

I'm not sure if Preston is still alive, once his kids get control, they'll probably sell off the property for apartments.

On a side note, I heard the other day that all of Don Whittington's old race cars are out of storage and being restored. They are missing 2, including the LeMans winning Porsche 935 that he lost in a lawsuit against a museum that was holding it.

I've met Don a few times when he came out to race motorcycles for a while. Through mutual friends, I ended up with a drop tank out of one of his hangars a few years ago and it's hanging on my back patio.

Story time over. Glad you guys didn't get hurt by those tornados!

YamahaRick, ChemGuy and 27 like this.