KTM in WSSP

Discussion in 'General' started by RS250Ape, May 1, 2024.

1. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

2. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Why not. They have been doing a reasonably good job of equalizing the variety of bikes.

3. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

Hmmm.. an increase to 990cc for twins could also see the Ducati V2 grow in displacement as well then. Uh oh...

4. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I'd love to see it happen if they built a dedicated sportbike chassis. But if they allow them to race what is effectively a hotted up twins cup 990 Duke, I'd be disappointed.

Also, the KTM 990 isn't actually a 990, it's 946cc, so it could already compete based on engine displacement. That being said, it's got a small bore and a huge stroke for a 'racing engine' - 92.5x70.4 - I can't see this thing revving past 11,000rpm reliably for long.

The Ducati v2 by comparison is 100x60.8 - much more room for large valves and higher rev ceiling. KTM would definitely be up against it unless they're allowed considerable internal engine modification.

5. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

I'm thinking KTM will just use the Kramer chassis, as with the RC 8C . They don't need to develop one themselves.

stk0308 likes this.
  6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

All I care is if whatever they make is available in street trim in the US market

SeventeenRR likes this.
  7. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Well they'd need to make 500 of them, and they currently only produce 100 RC8C in a production run. And they're limited to 26k EURO, which is about $27.5k USD.

Given that the RC8C sells for $41.4K USD, I'd think they're basically going to have to create a new model or figure out a decontented RC8C to sell to make homologation.

8. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I don't think it really matters since all of those bikes are limited in output/power delivery as they are compared to the benchmark bike, i.e. developed R6. When Yamaha enters a different model then they will need to develop a new benchmark model. Perhaps the current state ZX6?

9. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

The base 890 Kramer is $34K US. Cheaper wheels, calipers, front master cylinder, forks and shock, and dash would knock enough off the cost to build.

10. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

Or perhaps the discussion it to raise the limit on the homologation bikes so they don't have to change much?

11. notbostrom

Or do they race it under the gas gas name for the small manufacturers concession like Bimota did

12. notbostrom

Wss is 22k euros
    Next gen is 26k