1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those of you with to much time on your hands

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Apr 26, 2024.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

too
    ;)
    Ski

3. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

This brings up a curious question. What tracks have you ridden or raced on that no longer exist.
    For me its
    PBIR or Moroso
    Walt Disney World Speedway - took an Indy car on their 4 lap follow the leader fan drive. They made me back off twice for tailing the "pro" driver too close.

Gino230 and SpeedyE like this.
  4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Not surprised to see Greenwood first on this list. Supposedly it was used as a reference track for an Gran Turismo fantasy track at one point.

Iowa is really starved for a paved circuit. Not enough money or population for one, I guess.

Bloodhound likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Did they finally let Mud-America sink back into the clay out there in Council Bluffs?

CRA_Fizzer and 27 like this.
  6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Pretty much. I think they had the track open for cars for a while. I did a track day down there in like 2017 and they closed it to bikes shortly after.

7. pickled egg

Never much cared for the track layout, but dammit I was undefeated in the pit bike races on my YSR, until they started letting the bigger dirty bikes compete. :crackup:

8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

It was another Alan Wilson track iirc… so sucked should have been in the name… I only raced there once in 05 for Kawi money… didn’t like it either

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  9. pickled egg

[​IMG]

10. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

Here's one with some history, and a personal connection (scroll down to Marlboro Motor Raceway): https://www.motor1.com/news/709421/abandoned-racetracks-google-earth-motor1-readers/

This is where Penske supposedly got his start, was killed off when Summit Point opened and SCCA moved their sanctioning there, and where I supposedly went to races with my uncle, but too young to remember.

Coveralls that got my uncle slapped in the back of the head by an already way too serious Roger P.:
    upload_2024-4-26_10-27-18.png

dtalbott likes this.
  11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Damn...ran at Texas World Speedway in '82 following a 6 hr. at Woody Creek Colorado. Had to join WERA to be on that track the weekend before Daytona that year. Prior to that, I had never even heard of them. Precedes Ev and Sean's years (I think?).

12. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Is Oak Hill in TX still operating?

13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Tracks I have raced that we can no longer race. Wentzville, IRP, Memphis, East St Louis, Rockingham, Road Atlanta before being "fixed", Road America before being fixed.

14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Anyone else here ever race at the old Mountain View track in Colorado?
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/MNiv7Yj3ajHmR5r59
    It's still there, but abandoned.
    Or Bonneville raceway, way back before it was bought and became Rocky Mountain Raceway and they only kept the drag strip and oval running?
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/a2WiXnjNAUBkbtSv5

Very little left of the old course and dragstrip, now warehouses sit on the oval and start of the dragstrip.

Pikes Peak International Raceway looks to still exist, I don't know if it is used for any motorcycle racing these days.
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/9d97RNb7mA9g6fLs6

15. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Took my Penguin School at Bridgehampton in 1995. Such an amazing riders track.

The dirt pit area would probably make Broome stroke out!

My profile pic is T1 just after the bridge!

16. 10MM

10MM Action Reaction

No it is gone now

pjzocc likes this.
  17. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

That's the track where Robbie Jensen wadded up the Tularis.

18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

yeah we both bitched about it to each other at Road America that year :D

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  19. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

It's not on this year's MRA schedule - it used to be for years. I never raced there, but I used to cornerwork there a lot. There's at least one event there with these guys:
    ROUND 4: PIKES PEAK INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY — LegionSBK

Some people love PPIR. As long as HPR is open, I have no desire at all to go to there.

Not sure if there's anything left of Second Creek. There might be some traces of Continental Divide raceway near Centennial. The track in La Junta is still there, but no motorcycle racing.

brex likes this.
  20. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Sad...1st track I ever saw my bike do a end over end :clap:

And we could team up and just call the dude for $100 a day private track day :D

backbone likes this.