1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help bonding plastic

Discussion in 'General' started by Jeff McKinney, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

I need to repair a broken threaded plastic throttle cable adjuster.The part is NLA.
    So far on a internet search I've come up with Fusor 153 and Plastex.
    Anyone have experience with these or any other recommendations?
    TIA.

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

ChemGuy to the courtesy phone please.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Any idea the type of plastic? What bike and year...that might give clues? I would use plastex...that looks like some acrylate stuff...super glue. That maybe OK for some stuff. I would look for an epoxy or urethane for plastic repair. Maybe a primer as well. Look for automotive stuff from SEM, Henkel, 3M, etc. If you have an auto body supply store near you go there. Or see what you get on amazon. Also depending on how its broke and how it may be stressed...the glue may not hold long term.

make sure its cleaned...use isopropyl alcohol or whatever the glue people recommend. A little mechanical abrasion should help as well.

4. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Plastifix

5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

By the time he pays for all those chemicals to fix it maybe ordering custom cable is cheaper :)

Razr likes this.
  6. This and mechanical abrasion should not be overlooked. Depending on real estate available and wall thickness making some very slight undercuts with your tool
    Of choice, opposing where you feel it may “pull” apart comes in very handy.

7. F that easy route BS, next thing ya know yall are going to recommend he use the sissy lever to slow down.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

If he’s using plastic fasteners to attach it, he’ll only use it once… ;)

9. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

A stuck WFO throttle and lack of brakes are my nightmares. I tend to avoid JB Weld, plastic weld, epoxy, etc in those areas. Don't get me wrong, I'll JB Weld a broken frame, but I'm not crazy.

MachineR1 and pickled egg like this.
  10. I’m with ya, I’d not chance it but…

11. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Link to the part? Or picture of broken one?

12. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member