1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech-Air 7x Feedback

Discussion in 'General' started by Booger, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Now that this system has been out a couple of months, I’m curious to hear any feedback from folks that have ridden with/crashed in one.

How easy is it to get into and out of leathers? How is the fit? How well has it protected in a crash?

I need to step up my protection game from an old school back protector and am strongly considering this system. Any feedback is appreciated.

Senna likes this.
  2. Michael Bassani

Michael Bassani Well-Known Member

I have not ridden in it, but I was invited to an event with Alpinestars at MotoGP where I got to zip one into one of my suits.

It’s a lot less obtrusive than the 5 under leathers, zipping it in semi-permanently to your leathers is absolutely the play.

Fit wise, the biggest thing for me was at the coccyx, it takes up less space and just kind of slots in.
    In a word, I forgot it was there, while with the 5 I was always aware of it.

I’m waiting on a new custom suit to arrive, which I’ll be installing a 7x into. I was impressed.

STG did an extremely detailed video on the new system that is worthwhile checking out if you haven’t seen it already.

BigBird likes this.
  3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Did you feel as though you needed to go a size up in leathers to make up for the fit.

4. Bull&Bear

Bull&Bear Member

I wear a size 52 alpinestars suit and I went with a large for what it's worth.

also, I bought mine from a vendor at cota and it is currently malfunctioning (led lights are a little fucky) so I am waiting to hear back from alpinestars. I haven't been able to wear it riding yet.

5. Michael Bassani

Michael Bassani Well-Known Member

No.
    I wear a 52 Dainese Misano 2/3 and the suit I have on order is the same sizing. Felt svelte compared to the other vest systems I've used in the past (Tech air 5, Klim AI-1, Dainese Airbag Jacket)

6. Eck

Eck Older, wiser, but still addicted to roadracing

If you can fit a golf ball inside your leathers, you’re good. @Hyperdyne stop up at the shop and you can try one on.

BigBird likes this.
  7. Teal

Teal Well-Known Member

In my opinion the 7x fits smaller/better than the 5 and is very comfortable. I had no trouble getting into 44/54 Laguna Seca 4 suit while wearing a LG 7x. Suiting up with the vest already inside the suit didn't work for me. The back hump is quite bulky and I'd imagine most people would need to size up for this reason alone. I had already sized up last season after hitting the gym too hard. No problem with the length of the 7x for this short guy (see the size chart and measure first). Haven't plugged the unit in yet but so far I'm impressed.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

I think trackside at NJMP also has a bunch of them that they just got in

9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I'll try and stop by tomorrow morning. My old suit with the tech air race is too damn snug.

10. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Damn you for telling me that! I'm pretty happy with the 5 but the 7x sounds like a better track vest and I do like giving Justin money.

BigBird likes this.
  11. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Curious how the bulk compares to the tech air race.