1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Messing with my Aprilia Cup

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Mike Fennell, Apr 19, 2024.

1. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

If anyone cares, I'll post some updates as I go through the $3800 Cup bike.

Put it on the lift and started tearing into it. I can't put spools on the swingarm because a bolt is broken off on one side. It has a sidestand that I propped up to level, then I secured the bike with a tie down.

rs250-cup-work.jpeg

Two of the subframe mounts are stripped and there's a bolt/nut combo instead.

The coolant overflow is all rashed up. The level line disintegrated when I touched it. I seem to be able to add a few oz of coolant every time I open the cap, which is slightly concerning.

rs250-cup-overflow-sm.jpeg

I thought this was an interesting detail. Adding oil requires unbolting this clip.

rs250-cup-oil-cap-sm.jpeg

Speaking of oil, the tank was completely empty. There was a little in the line. It smoked when running so I think the pump is working. I'll be sure to check.

I ran my borescope into the cylinders (the plug wire cap came off the wire on the vertical cylinder). The shape/angle of the heads make it hard to see everything. It's not a horror show but I think I see a bit of pitting on the vertical. I'll pull the pics off my scope.

No air filter. The air intakes clamps weren't tightened and one intake wasn't actually on its carb. The carb drain tubes were pointing up so I couldn't drain the bowls.

Date codes on the tires are from '04 and '05. My first thought was old tires thrown on just to roll it except the front brakes and axle are wired. Guessing it's been 15 years since the bike was on track.

I had thought I'd just whip through the bike and drag it to the track but it's probably smart to go in a little deeper first.

SuddenBraking, BlueR32 and Evill Ed like this.
  2. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

With a 2-stroke I'd definitely recommend going through it before tracking. Concerning that oil tank was empty, perhaps was run on premix?

Mike Fennell likes this.
  3. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

The seller told me he ran the pump and it's still there. The cynic in me wonders if something is wrong with the pump and there's pre-mix in there now.

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Mike Fennell likes this.
  5. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Found this crack last night. Nice of someone to stop drill it but you'd think they might have used a smaller bit.

rs250-cup-crack-sm.jpg

Spent 20 minutes gradually drilling out the broken bolt in the swingarm for the spool. It's now filled with the remains of an EZ out. The bitch of it was I spend a minute thinking maybe I should just drill it all the way out and put a timesert in there. "I'll just give it a easy turn - if it's really stuck I'll drill it out".

6. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

So it seems it was kind of a basket case after all. C’est la vie. It’ll be a good bike once you’ve gone through all the age related stuff and typical track bike stuff. The only question is how far will you have to go to have confidence in everything. Minimum all new fluids, new coolant hoses, clean the carbs (and likely new intake boots), lubricate everything, replace missing/ damaged/ non-standard items that are questionable, tires, brake hoses, repair subframe cracks, new sprockets and chain.

I’m still hoping to do the Cougar Red power valves, pulleys, RGV250 PV cables and Zeeltronic on mine before tracking it again. It’s not cheap but rather insurance against even more costly engine repairs or heaven forbid a crash/ injury.

7. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

I'm falling back on 'priced appropriately'. It does appear to be straight and I would have done most of that stuff anyway. I found a ding in the pipe side of the swingarm from a footpeg and the non-pipe side looks like it was dragged through a gravel quarry but I haven't found any evidence of a serious yard sale.

I approve this message.

freedomgli likes this.
  8. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Following for updates and more pics. Good luck!

Mike Fennell likes this.
  9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Same.

And if you need a second set of hands, I’m in Bucks County.

Mike Fennell likes this.
  10. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

With the overwhelming demand, I'll try to keep it up. :D

I solved the cold radiator mystery. No coolant.

rs250-cup-coolant.jpg

I'm assuming (hoping?) some previous numpty didn't bother to open the radiator vent when filling it.

I pulled out my future 848 track bike to cleanse my palette so to speak. This bike is spotless. Ran it for a bit and rode up/down the street before draining the oil to send to Blackstone. It has an interesting back story. This bike has never seen the street. Way back in 2009, Dennis Espinosa was racing at NJMP and completely yard sale'd his 848. Ducati was there with bikes for show or demo or something. He bought a new 848 directly from them, prepped it, and raced the following day. RRW had a video but it's long gone: https://www.roadracingworld.com/new...es-from-showroom-stock-to-racebike-overnight/

848-track-naked.jpg

SuddenBraking likes this.
  11. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Pulled the cradle off yesterday. The bolts holding the coils were finger tight. All 4 of them.

rs250-cup-stripped.jpg

I was happy that it wasn't under any tension and fits perfectly.

rs250-cup-cradle.jpg

This also made me happy. The throttle box thing (it allows the PV controller to pull the the oil pump cable) is spotless inside. The 1895km on the dash might even be accurate. 1895km of abuse, then years of sitting around ignored, granted.

rs250-cup-throttle.jpg

Hope to drop the cradle off with our local artisanal welder (weird dude but creates things of beauty out of a mess of a shop) for some love. Found more cracks once I had it off the bike.

I guess I'll drop the engine and see what I can screw up.

motosapien, freedomgli and BlueR32 like this.
  12. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Dropped the cradle off at the fabricator last week. It will be done when it's done.

Managed to get the broken extractor out of the spool mount with a carbide drill bit, cutting oil, and some patience. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The other side is already drilled out and has some threads in it. Maybe for a timesert? Not really high on my priority list.

rs250-cup-bolt.jpg

Continuing to enjoy the complete lack of detail shown by whoever threw the bike together last. Idle and air solenoid bracket bolts weren't even spun in all the way and the other fuel line clamp was loose too. Ditto the clutch actuator lever. Given the pile of parts I have, including good looking cylinders & a full gasket kit, my theory is that someone in the past was planning to rebuild the other engine, lost interest, found something (it honestly looks like the engine was sitting outside) and had his drunk buddy cobble it together enough to get it running.

Oh, no springs on the expansion chambers. They just slip-fit into the mounts, right? I guess they're rusted in place.

Everything is disconnected and the engine is ready to come out. How heavy are these things?