1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New bike issues, opinions on dealer request….

Discussion in 'General' started by eppy01f4i, Apr 13, 2024.

1. alan

alan Well-Known Member

Its crazy, but in these situations the consumer complaining to the OEM has more pull than the dealer complaining to the OEM. It sucks that the consumer has to spend more time making phone calls but it works.

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Hmm sounds like the dealer is the problem

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Seriously a lemon law claim for a leaky shock, wtf? Did you say that to stir the pot and to get the beeb spinning in circles and for their heads to blow up?

4. alan

alan Well-Known Member

Absolutely. He can't use his bike that he paid. It does not effect the dealer.

ToofPic, BigBird and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Huh? Dealers sign an franchise agreement with said OEM that they will service the customer's vehicle. So yes its up to the dealer. And they have many ways to accomplish this.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I'm dead serious. OP paid good money for a bike and can't ride it without a shock, so now it's sitting at the dealership and he's at home, sad and bikeless. That's precisely why lemon laws exist.

ToofPic, BigBird, younglion and 8 others like this.
  7. alan

alan Well-Known Member

The OEM determines if the shock is a serviceable item or a replacement item. Sounds like the OEM has determined that the shock will be replaced under warranty. So this is the only way to accomplish this. The OEM was unable to provide details to the dealer on when the shock would be released from backorder. If that went longer than 30 days the consumer could file for MD Lemon Law and the OEM would be on the hook not the dealer.

8. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

Nail on the head. :beer:

Once a Wanker.. and cha0s#242 like this.
  9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

And on top of that, if I am reading it right the lemon law is what got them to un-drag their feet.

10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

There should be law no sales of new vehicles until all parts are available. They do have them so stack up warehouse and build vehicles in same time.
    It is bad enough they stop making parts after 10 or so years, never mind next day you buy vehicle and no parts.

ToofPic, younglion, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

A local dealer tried to sell me an "extended warranty" on a new 2T dirtbike... I shrugged it off but then asked a point blank question if the latest map from KTM was installed. Deer, headlights, keystone cop routine...

Once a Wanker.. and eppy01f4i like this.
  12. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

It amazes me how little some of these dealers know about the bikes they sell and service.
    I have had the same response to certain questions, after 5 minutes of them scrambling I just goggle it. o_O

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds like the KTM warranty department is the problem - which is usually the case. Dealers can't do much more than submit the claim and it's either approved or denied, they have no power over the decision.

14. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I had a full post typed out here but then got an error saying my IP address was banned so it was lost, so... in a nutshell:

My KTM dealer found out I was a moderator on the 790/890 forum and called KTM after they denied one of my MANY claims - it took like a heartbeat to have them approve it and give the dealership carte blanche for the other issues too.

Dealers CAN help and influence the manufacturers choices.

Once a Wanker.. and BigBird like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Your story sounds like yet again, the KTM warranty department made the call, the dealer did nothing more than tell them about you posting on social media. Without that the dealer wouldn't have gotten a different answer. So yeah, the dealer does have some almost influence but still no power.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  16. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

In this case influence and power are interchangeable are they not - if the dealer can swing the manufacturer using influence or if they have the power to over-ride their decision - both give the customer the same end result.

I could care less about who approves it or why, all that matters is that it was because of the dealer that my claims were approved so they had the POWER to INFLUENCE KTM's decision.

If I need $10 - I don't care if it's a $10 bill, 2-$5's, etc... all that matters is I have the $10.

And FWIW - I didn't threaten to put them on blast online or use the platform, the service manager at the dealership told the owner who decided to insert himself into the process on my behalf.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Guessing you've never worked for a dealer dealing with warranty claims - they're not interchangeable. All the power is with the manufacturer and the warranty department. Sometimes like in your case the dealer can find something that gets the warranty department on their side but usually they can't.

The reason it happened wasn't the dealer, it was your online stuff scared the OEM. The dealer merely passed on that info. They had no power. They had no influence. You had influence. Luckily the dealer recognized that and passed it on but it still didn't give them any power themselves. They were smart in how they gamed the system which sadly is what dealers have to do way too often. If you didn't have the influence nothing the dealer could say would change anything.

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Sounds more like the dealer is not asking the right questions to get it resolved to me. First question is when does it get released off of b/o which i don't think was asked to KTM?

younglion and 418 like this.
  19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

It sounds like many of you have never been a service manager at a franchised motorcycle dealership. If so you would get used to making requests of the warranty department and getting told, we are not going to cover that or we are not going to expedite getting a part for you. Then after the customer calls corporate, you get a call from the regional service rep either telling you to take care of it and it will be covered or asking you what they can do to help you out. Those wanting to blame the dealership are barking up the wrong tree on this one. I have been there and done that.

Once a Wanker.. and Bruce like this.
  20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

right... Im just a lowly customer. Like the parts guy who did not understand you can buy push pin sleeves for $.68 each or a pack of 10 for $6... but he is trying to sell me a side plate for $150.