1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New bike issues, opinions on dealer request….

Discussion in 'General' started by eppy01f4i, Apr 13, 2024.

1. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Bottom where? Where shaft enters body or way down where wire is connected? If it leaks on the shaft it will flow down to bottom so you need to take good look.
    That K-tech kit shows it is U-cup seal for shaft.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I was kind of eyeing a couple new ktm's...this doesn't inspire confidence. Hope they make it right soon.

4. eppy01f4i

I'm not sure.
    I guess I really don't know where it was leaking, it was collecting and running down the bottom where the wire is connected.
    Guess it could have been running down the shaft and I didn't notice.

After seeing the oil I took it straight to the dealer and they still have it.

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm not a mechanic, I just ride them. :(:D

BigBird likes this.
  5. eppy01f4i

This has definitely soured the new bike experience. :mad:
    I have plenty of experience dealing with testy bikes, Aprilia, Ducati, Beta, but this one didn't even make it past break in mileage.

I'll keep the thread updated.

6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Since the shock is rebuildable, just have the dealer take it out and send it to the suspension guy of your choice and have them rebuild it and maybe even reshim and spring it for your weight and skill level. Then have them ship it back to the dealer to install it. All it will cost you is the price of a rebuild and you will have a better than stock replacement suspension.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I love most of the product line I just hate the bean counter penny pinching they seem to so prone to doing that the end user/owner will need to address. I have even less faith in their dealership service depts that cant even PDI a new bike correctly.

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

When discussing options with the dealer I would offhandedly
    refer to this online discussion just to let him know that potential
    customers may see this (not using it as a threat). The problem
    obviously isn't his fault but he may be more inclined to go the
    extra mile for you if he is aware that future customers might
    read this thread and it could be a deciding factor for someone
    considering buying a new bike from him. Reputation is important.

eppy01f4i likes this.
  9. grapemustard

grapemustard Well-Known Member

i had a dealer do it once. had them install a full akra on a ducati streetfighter v4. in the process, the tech punctured the radiator. a new one was a few weeks out. I asked them to pull a radiator off a floor bike (no small job). they did it.

that being said, it was like a $7k job for the exhaust and install and i've bought like 20 bikes from this dealer, so YMMV.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The dealer has nothing really to do with this other than contacting KTM and relaying what their warranty department decides.

418, BigBird and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  11. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Dang! And here I thought it was some sort of 4D Chess thing...

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Nothing wrong w euro bikes.

Seems like you just have to be willing to wait an entire riding season for parts in most cases.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Seriously, the only relevant date you need to know is in acordance with your state's Lemon Law. Check how long they can keep it in the shop and when they blow past that date, they need to caugh up the money and refund yo' dolla dolla bills, yo.

eppy01f4i and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  15. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

The issue with this is that most dealership techs are not suspension guys. And a suspension shop isn't a KTM warranty repair center. So you have to pick one or the other. They're either going to replace the shock, or you pull it and have it rebuilt.

Once a Wanker.. and TurboBlew like this.
  16. eppy01f4i

UPDATE -

After some serious consideration over the weekend, I decided I was not going eat the cost fixing a warranty part.

I also researched Maryland's lemon laws and found the following would apply -
    CL §14-1501 through 14-1503 : The vehicle could not be used for 30 days or more during its warranty period (24 months or 18,000 miles) because of a problem.

I then called KTM NA and shook the tree.
    They promptly reached out to the dealer who will be removing the shock and sending it to KTM NA in Ohio for a factory rebuild with full warranty.
    They estimate 2 weeks turn around.

I'll update this thread again when the repairs are complete, and I have the bike back.

ToofPic, 418, BigBird and 11 others like this.
  17. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

So did you actually talk to JT’s about anything after the initial inspection or just went straight to KTM?

18. eppy01f4i

I did not speak to them after Friday.
    There was no sense of urgency from them the week before and very vague responses to any of my questions.

KTM was called Monday morning.

I guess I should edit by last post... I assume KTM called JT because they now had an answer, and their demeanor was completely different.

BigBird and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  19. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

well they are a pretty busy dealership and the service department is usually a few days to a week out and yes, Dakota doesn’t come off as overly excited. However they are a good dealer that takes care of its customers in my 15 years of dealing with them. I think you could have achieved the same result by just going in there and speaking to someone higher up in service.

20. eppy01f4i

Not sure who Dakota is, but that is not who I am dealing with.
    I have been spending money at JT since I started riding, over 20+ years.

You may be 100% right, but I purchased a $20,000 bike and thought being told "part is out of stock, no clue when it will be available" was completely unacceptable.
    I was shocked when I hung up the phone last week.... new bike, prime riding season, and it's going to sit, as I make the payment and insurance.

I'll still spend money there, and I won't bash them, I just think they could have handled the situation better.

ToofPic, 418, BigBird and 5 others like this.