1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Candidate For Dumbest Vehicle Recall Repair Ever

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Apr 10, 2024.

1. You are on to something here. Guy at NHTSA “I give up, just drain it on the ground then it’s an EPA problem”.

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

This is a recall for a 3500 pound lifted wagon that has a 1.5 liter 3 cylinder turbocharged engine with only 180 horsepower?

How about just recalling that entire specification? Good grief, no wonder shit breaks with such a tiny engine hauling that thing around.

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

4000lb cars had less horsepower back in the 70s. Example: 1976 Impala 5.7l V8, 145HP, over 4300lb, and pushing it through a crappy 3 speed Auto. A 1.5l turbo Escape would run rings around it until an injector fails. :D The Impala probably leaked more fuel and was even less reliable, although much cheaper and easier to fix.

bpro likes this.
  4. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

Just this morning took the escape in to get this recall done, seems like a poor fix for the problem, this was on a 2020 ford escape,also had the window switches recall done.
    The widow switches have chrome flaking off.

Dan

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
  5. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Those engines were not highly stressed....:D

6. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Yep, not a fix at all

7. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Well, judging by my experience with Honda, where parts were back ordered for months, Ford is doing this stop gap measure while they develop and make the fuel injectors.
    I had cars disabled on the lot up to six months waiting for body control modules.
    Customers were put on a waiting list for fuel pumps.
    Tailgate harnesses were only replaced on the cars that were malfunctioning, the rest had to wait until the parts were more available.
    2023 cars were delivered with only one key fob.
    Seems that even though the shut down was over 3 years ago, they're still playing catch up with electronics.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  8. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Yeah, since furl injectors have only been around since circa 1960 they're still trying to work the bugs out. Cut 'em some slack.

9. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Since they mention disabling the high pressure fuel pump in the Ford recall, this is most likely a direct injection system. This introduces a whole new set of problems.
    Ever since Honda went with direct injection, I've replaced hundreds of sets of injectors.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Even if the failure rate is low, if you're one of the
    people who have to deal with a failure, that is not
    going to make you feel good about the situation.
    When it's your problem it's a big problem.
    I had an Olds Ciera with leaky injectors once and
    you drive around smelling gas all the time, not a
    pleasant experience. The dealer couldn't fix the
    problem for many months until the warranty was
    up and then suddenly he decided that replacing
    all of the injectors was the way to go.

11. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I remember that on moms pacer. Sadly I miss that car. Would had been my 1st one if I got it running again. Dad gave me a Chiton manual, socket set,wrenches and screwdrivers and said go have at it when I was 14. After a week I gave up.

27 and BrentA like this.
  12. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Both bogus and sad!
    Did your brother Garth get it then?

[​IMG]

27 likes this.
  13. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

That looked identical to my moms other than the flames. I really didnt have any interest in cars at 14. I raced bicycles then.

BrentA likes this.