1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick shifters

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by fzrkidd, Apr 11, 2024.

1. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

Any one have any info on what year they showed up on scene? AKA ... what year are they eligible in vintage classes?

2. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I installed a IGNITECH unit on my 87 FZR750RT track toy...
    Have no idea if vintage legal though.

3. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Dale Walker had them for drag bikes in the late 70's. I'm thinking he had them for most applications in the mid 80's.

fzrkidd and TurboBlew like this.
  4. fzrkidd

Thank you!!

5. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Per Chapter 11 in that little thing that no one looks at...called the rulebook:

upload_2024-4-13_16-6-57.png

Regards,
    Chad

6. 2Big4Bike

Previous post...I guess that relates to air shifters...there might be something else about other quick shifters but I didn't find it yet.

Regards,
    Chad

7. fzrkidd

I did take a look at the rulebook before posting. I appreciate your input. It was my interpretation of the passage that you quoted, and specifically what you underlined, to mean that in the case of a disabled rider needing modern technology to assist them on a vintage bike dated far enough back that the date cut off didn't allow the use of that technology, that it could be approved on a case by case basis. I'm not disabled, so I don't think this rule applies to what I'm asking, as I'm not asking for any special treatment. I also think that an air shifter is different than a quick shifter, but I may be wrong.

The general consensus that I take from the component section and the technical section is that if a component was used during that time period then it is legal for your class. Hence the reason I asked about the quick shifter time frame. I looked myself but was having a hard time finding info on its initial use.

8. fzrkidd

Had my previous post written up and forgot to hit send after getting distracted at work!

Either way, I cant find anything that says they are NOT legal, and they were being used way before my before my cutoff date if Kev59s info is correct. I'll do some more research but I think I'm good if I can come up with proof.

9. 2Big4Bike

I didn't see what bike and what class you wanted to ride with the quick-shifter...but I'm guessing if you are riding V6...maybe even V5 or above, there probably won't be an issue. I think people would just be glad to have a bike on the grid.

I wouldn't protest you for passing me while using your quick-shifter...but don't pass me in classes below V8 with radial brake calipers...I get butt hurt over that! :D

Regards,
    Chad

10. fzrkidd

Yes V6 LW, and no radial brake calipers for sure!