1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road bicycle tires/ tubes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Apr 3, 2024.

1. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I run tubeless on all my bikes but imo it's better suited to lower pressures applications like mtb. They barely seal at road pressures but I use it for the feel and speed, not the flats. fwiw, the constraint to tyre size/volume is the frame, optimized to a rim/wheel system, but dictated by the road surface. Smoother = lower vol/narrower, courser = higher vol/wider. And let's not talk about hookless.
    Also latex leaks so you'll be pumping up more regularly. Interestingly, gatorskins are so slow rolling it's still faster to use a regular performance tyre in an iron man and stop to fix the flats with the 6-8 minutes you'll be further up the road.

Gino230 likes this.
  2. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I went pretty wide w/ my road setup in part to avoid having to run high pressures.

I'm running 50 psi F&R on 30/32 GP5000S TR, but they measure out closer to 32/33 when mounted.

Pre-race footage of Paris-Roubaix showed MvdP ran about 51 psi on 32mm Vittorias, and he is a much bigger guy than me (although I'm probably fatter).

Before I went tubeless though, I had good experiences with Vittoria latex tubes (no flats), but maybe only a couple hundred miles since I split miles with a gravel bike.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  3. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

I'm sure he's a few psi higher when not on the cobbles and not 32's

4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

No doubt, and narrower as well.

I'm looking at it from not pinch flatting perspective.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  5. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

If you get a pinch flat running tubeless you need a few more psi

Once a Wanker.. likes this.