1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Euros updated their helmet standard

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Actually that’s about the only series I never raced haha. I mostly only had CCS in my area but raced CMRA and CRA at times too.

2. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Way back in 1981, a study was released on motorcycle accidents, typically referred to as the Hurt Report
    He summarized the issue of helmet safety as "Tell me what type of crash you're going to have, and I'll tell you which helmet to wear"

Monsterdood likes this.
  3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Ahh that explains everything don't you think?

4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Along with the Suomy Vandal the RF200 was the most comfortable helmet I've ever had.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What happened with Bieffe? Back in the day They were everywhere and then *poof* they were gone.

Pixelator likes this.
  6. Spooner

Haha there’s no problem, mongo just doesn’t know the business end and global certifications of helmets but that’s not his job. Ruining roadracing in America is his job.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Spooner

That was actually my very first helmet. As far as I know they went out of business decades ago but I think also were bought and sold a few times.

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Never a fan of them cheap stuff imo. The helmet business is fascinating with new companies coming every year it seems, then go away.
    There's not a gillizon helmet factories around the world so it we be cool to know who builds what for who

9. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

I believe Nolan was my 1st moped helmet at age 14...in the 80's Ohio issued a motorcycle license to us young whipper snappers and a helmet was required. 1983 we traveled to Springfield (used to be huge retail/online Competition Accessories) to buy a Honda 50 and the helmet.

10. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

The draughting table I used at one company back in the 80's was made by Bieffe.

Some of those Italian companies made a bunch of different stuff. Morbidelli were primarily a woodworking company, then they made world championship winning bikes. Ducati once made radios.

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Even Yamaha once made pian...wait.

Yamaha even once made good motorcycles, now they just make good music instruments.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, don't remotely assume that - until they post something about a certification causing something in US sales that has nothing remotely to do with US sales.

It's great you're selling that the ECE change is causing helmet blowouts in the US but it doesn't help it make any more sense. Something you'd think you would understand with all of your experience.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, yeah, Mongo writes rules that involve those certifications so he does know a bit about them. He has done so for almost twice as long as you've worked for Parts. Mongo has changed rules to work with the helmet manufacturers who didn't want to resubmit old designs that were perfectly fine and pay Snell more money. Mongo worked with them to understand and agree to allowing ECE and BCI standards.

Basically I don't have to sit through sales seminars to get information or know that quite simply the ECE has nothing to do with US legality. Just as Snell doesn't. The ONLY thing that matters for legality in the US is the self certified DOT one.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They make great guitars for their price points but, no one buys them (or admit to it).

15. Spooner

They affect sales in the US for helmets just like it affects sales of motorcycles in the US. The reason all the 4 cylinder sport bikes are going away is because they can't meet EU emissions standards and they won't produce bikes (with rare exception) for any single market, let alone the US market. Helmet manufacturers also don't produce helmets for any one country except for rare cases. Also more than 50 countries require the ECE rating so it is far more than a European standard. With new helmets on the way with the new ratings they have to make room for them and will have discounts to make sure they are gone in time for the new helmets to land. Also ~95% of the helmets in the US are ECE right now so it is by far the most prevalent and requested rating by consumers which drive the market.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

you musta read that on the interwebs right?

17. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

I dunno but it seems possible to me that at least some existing helmets meet the new standards, so all they need are new stickers that say so; not new helmets.

18. Spooner

Correct many helmets already met the new standard but every model has an expect life cycle. If they already had made the helmet for 4 years and then have to pay to certify that helmet for the new standard they will usually at least do a refresh to the design so they can get another 4 or so years out of that next shell. But since everyone knew this was coming many brands just planned to end a specific model during the transition period and go to the new version since they had to pay to do the certification anyways. Also higher end helmets were also going for the FIM standard and were redesigning their helmets for that as well.

19. alan

alan Well-Known Member

Love the 3rd person...

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And yet one more time because you're just not paying attention - that is on the seller not the buyer. The ECE rating change has zero effect on the ability to sell a helmet in the US.

The sellers choose to do discounts for many reasons, none of which is they can no longer sell a particular ECE rating in the US.