1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2025 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Mar 18, 2024.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Because Honda. He can’t lead and the team has gotten worse every season. They don’t play that shit. He has input into the development and who the riders should be. If not for Marquez they would barely have a handful of wins in the past 5 or 6 years.

stk0308 likes this.
  2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I didn't. There was nowhere to go that was a guaranteed improvement. Aprilia, Honda or more money. Yeah, the Aprilia is fast but if it doesn't finish races, where is the improvement?

3. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I really thought Fabio was going to Aprilia. I'm bummed, cause even though Yamaha is one of my favorite brands, I just don't see them developing a championship competitive bike in the next 2 years. Maybe when the all-new rules take effect in 2027...but not until then.

4. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

But the riders and team members supposedly like him, at East according to Mat Oxley. Again he has nothing to do with bike development, and that’s why the team have gotten worse, not because of riders he signed.

5. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I'm sure he didn't want to risk not getting an Aprilia ride. And I'm sure his bank account isn't crying.
    Look at Luca Marini. He committed career suicide for a fat Honda paycheck if you ask me.

Gixxerguy855 and 27 like this.
  6. Letitsnow

Letitsnow Well-Known Member

What I don't understand about Marini - his testing times on the Honda were fairly good, top ten or close. Now that racing has started, he is so slow. WTF?

7. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

If I'm Fabio I could care less about this part but rather their contract offer. That number from Aprilia was beyond disrespectful and they are in trouble if thats all they're offering.

Quicktoy and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Was it published what Aprilla offered?

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I wonder if Yamaha thought the Aprilia offer was higher before making the deal.

BigBird and Quicktoy like this.
  12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

More like wonder if Fabio paid them a 10% for giving him a 10M offer on paper to show Yamaha :D

brex and HPPT like this.
  13. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

14. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

15. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Probably because he threw a flyer in on a soft tire and his race pace was really not there.

16. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

$7.65 and a second MotoGP championship on your resume will buy you a cup of Starbucks.

As a long term prospect Yamaha is a better bet than Aprilia just by sheer resources and history. They’ll probably right the ship substantially over the next 2 years, and Fabio will be perfectly positioned for another 1-2 giant contracts and sipping martinis on a beach before he hits 30 while getting paid for life as a Yamaha brand ambassador.

Scott Russell summed it up best. “When I rode for Harley I hated life every day. Now I thank God every day that I rode for Harley.”

What future career? I don’t mean that as an insult at all. Think about it.

Luca’s an excellent rider and acquitted himself well. He’s just not exciting enough per se to have been a legit prospect for a factory Ducati when they have 7 other dudes in the top class and legions of Moto2 hotdogs waiting in the wings.

Aprilia apparently pays dogshit since they won’t even pay Fabio what he’s worth. There was no seeming chance to jump onto the factory team either, so why jump ship from satellite to satellite even if it were an option?

KTM chews people up and spits them out. Also no room at the factory inn.

Yamaha was full. What were his options? Ride a satellite Ducati for 4 more years and then age out of the grid?

Repsol Honda offered him more money than he’s ever seen in his life. When you’re not a dude like Pedro Acosta that people are fighting to sign, and someone offers you a factory contract, you jump on it with both feet because you’ll likely never be asked again.

Luca is also exactly what Honda needs right now. A smart dude who is an excellent rider, but isn’t so noteworthy that poor performances on their shitty bike will cause much drama. Luca’s path will be like Aleix’s, Zarco’s, and Crutchlow’s. A fast and reliable workhorse who is a big asset anywhere he goes, but not really a contender. There’s zero wrong with that role, all 3 of those guys have and had great careers.

If I had to bet on it, I’d put on my money on Luca being a Repsol mainstay for many years.

17. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

No lie told on that one though.

Circacee likes this.
  18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I was really expecting Fabio to go to Ape, but if both numbers are accurate, then yeah, staying at Yamaha was definitely the right choice. If they were close on price, they making the move would have made sense. Hopefully they turn around the tuning fork turd.

19. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Exactly my thoughts...

I was shocked to see the salary differential - I assumed it would be $6/mill/yr vs maybe 8-9mill/yr and at that disparity in his shoes I'd have made the jump but $4 vs $12/yr - no brainer for the kid who's 24y/o now I think so in his prime earning years.

20. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Marc stay at Gresini with his Bro for another year but on current/equal machinery and support like Pramac currently enjoys. Small team but if they can swing the budget to up their game and offer Marc 4-5 mill/yr (partially paid by Ducati perhaps) then that's what I'd love to see.

My guess is Miller and Fernandez are gonzo at KTM next year - might be a spot along Brad for Martin if Acosta doesn't get the bump for '25.

Rins likely stays at Yamaha with Fabio...

Honda - honestly don't really care...status quo most likely.

Aleix to the testing role and depending on Mav's form in the next 3-4 rounds he stays put or gets the boot for a young gun and cheap vet - possibly Bezz or Iannone.

Quicktoy likes this.