1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liberty Media Purchases MotoGP

Discussion in 'General' started by Critter, Apr 2, 2024.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

The fact that interest in F1 has been growing despite the racing being garbage is great news for MotoGP. They already have good racing, now to expose it to more people and provide a more polished viewing experience for people can only be a positive in my eyes.

What ruined F1 for me wasn't who owned it, or lack of grid girls. Sadly, it was the racing was just an utter bore once they banned fuel stops and the cars got so large and aero dependent that being in front was such an advantage they had to invent 'DRS' zones to try to promote passing. F1 races being 70 laps and seeing usually 1-2 competitive cars/people and like 3 passes for the lead in 3 hours is a damn snooze fest.

As much as I enjoy seeing the technological advancements of aerodynamics etc to the bikes, I don't want GP to go this way. Same for the tires, no need to keep chasing faster and faster one lap pace. Give these guys tires that can last the whole race and let's see who's actually the fastest over 25 laps. Not who can conserve the tire for the last 6 laps.

Liberty Media is not even a threat to the spectacle in my eyes, the rules and regulations are.

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

100% that ^, both F1 and MotoGP parts.

Quicktoy likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

5. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

The response is overwhelmingly "no"

cbush, Quicktoy, 27 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I think you are missing how the rules get made and how the amount of money in the sport impacts those rules. All you have to do is look at the controversy surrounding the attempt of Andretti to start a new team to see the darker side of the increased popularity and cash flow. You think Ducati want the wings gone? Do you think they have some influence in those rules? Is there money involved there?

The "pre-liberty" model is that manufacturers spent the big bucks to show off their brand (and theoretically do some R&D), and they had some influence over how things were run as a result.

The post-liberty model is that the manufacturers take a back seat and cash flow impacts the tracks, rules, teams, etc. It is a prototype series, but most of the teams are in a small area in the UK and share the same small pool of people. A Honda engine becomes a Red Bull engine without turning a bolt. A Racing Point becomes an Aston Martin, etc. There is also the "show" aspect where certain drivers, owners, etc. are celebrities outside of their results.

I'm concerned that MotoGP becomes more F-1 in that model and the actual manufacturer involvement becomes sticker-related, as in the "Repsol Honda" team slapped on whatever bike is winning. Another possibility is that Liberty bought it to make sure there is no competition for resources with F1. Kind of like MotoGP did with WSB.

I am not poor, but it is tough to afford to see F1 in person anymore. I could never afford a VIP ticket in F1. I have paid up for them in MotoGP. Now, a cheap seat in Las Vegas costs more than a MotoGP VIP ticket! I'd never see grubby, greasy motorcycles going 100% that route with the super rich. But, it could get a little further down that path.

tl1098 likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Only because "hell no" is not an option.

cbush, cpettit and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Can we see Baggers and NASTARDs on the track at the same time?

CRA_Fizzer and Quicktoy like this.
  9. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Could be great or horrible from a rider’s perspective. The MotoGP guys complained about the Moto2 Dunlop rubber. I wonder how the track feels after a session of formula 1 rubber?

ducnut likes this.
  10. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

wait... a US company owns F1, WSBK and Motogp? I am so out of touch and stunned esp with all the money I hear coming out of Saudi Arabia.

Quicktoy and Steeltoe like this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

12. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I wonder if they are funneling any money towards Flatrock to get the GP course built? They haven’t started that course yet from what I can tell.

As for Liberty, the complete lack of mention of WSBK is concerning. That and the fact that it has turned into the EuroSBK championship. Tough to get world wide sponsors for a Euro only series. Such great racing though.

13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

So explain Dodge to me…. Maybe I don’t know their market well enough but I certainly don’t think the demographic matches.

The auto partnership package for GP and SBK is spectacular. I’ve held meetings between the head of Lexus at the time and Dorna about their program which turned into a Toyota generational connection they built in MX/SX and my activations for IndyGP. Fascinating meetings.

14. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I know precisely zero about marketing. Just my speculation that a presence in other markets might open doors. I was pleasantly surprised to see challengers doing the track inspection vice the Hyundais! Maybe they want to sell more Dodges in Europe. Not what I expected for sure.

15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

yeah I may be too close to those things to see it but it used to be a scalpel edge not a hatchet… I didn’t think Hellcat type cars sold in Europe… at least enough to warrant the partnership…

it actually made me think nobody would pay for it and they had to give it away and Dodge was willing to send some show cars…

that’s all a guess I have no idea

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would they give money to a racetrack? They get paid millions in sanction fees to put on races, they don't pay to build tracks.

27 likes this.
  17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I just watched a European Le Mans race and the safety car was a Dodge Challenger.

18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

cool! Thanks man… that’s the part I didn’t get… guess they do have a European market and presence…. I was too lazy to look

19. Critter

Critter Registered

Do you
    Do still have any connections with Toyota? I hear they are starting and offroad truck racing team

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

yeah on the sales side though… haven’t talked to TRD in a long time… no idea what they’re up to

Once a Wanker.. likes this.