1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Euros updated their helmet standard

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, Apr 2, 2024.

1. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Bye bye ECE 22-05, they will now be using 22-06.

That means there is a ton of good helmet deals going on right now as retailers are making room for the new ones... :D

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    Super Dave and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would that matter to dealers here?

3. cha0s#242

Internet retailers sell to the US.
    ECE helmets are at least road legal in the US, aren't they ?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

ECE has nothing at all to do with road legal in the US. The first E kind of gives it away.

All a helmet needs here is to be self certified by the maker to DOT standards. No ECE, no BCI, no Snell.

Steeltoe likes this.
  5. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yes but most helmets sold in the US are ECE and not Snell so there are a ton of closeouts and things going on. Pretty much only Arai, Shoei, and Bell are doing snell anymore.

6. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

So like, the good ones???

5axis, BrentA and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  7. cha0s#242

My X-Lite X-803 R is the best helmet I ever had and I owned Arais and Shoeis all my life.

8. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

my comment is mostly sarcasm. But whatever fits you best and keeps you safe is good with me. I know there are a few other good helmets out there not on the list I quoted, but I think most would agree that those 3 are considered top tier helmet brands.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  9. cha0s#242

I'm not sure Bell belongs on that list. In my experience they have been pretty average.

Spooner and backbone like this.
  10. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

This guys opinion, having a mechanical engineering education... Snell is something to be avoided. Too much shock gets transmitted to the brain. ECE is much better in this regard.

Heck I think DOT helmets are/were softer than snell but its been a loooong time since Ive dug into it.

Spooner and Michael Hausknecht like this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Your avatar pic shows that is a lie. :Poke:

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  12. Dave Wolfe

Thats just a gentle roll thru the grass!

That was a cheap snell Bell. The one I got run over with by the clapped out SV was a ECE Scorpion.

13. jdavis6446

jdavis6446 Well-Known Member

Mongo, look at the positive. Maybe more street riders might wear a helmet. Far better than none, no matter what the certification is.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

From a consumer standpoint it seems like there is robust competition from quite a few brands/mfgs at all price points.
    I hesitate to associate cost & quality when it comes to heads & helmets. Is a $700 lid going to protect twice as good as a $350 unit?
    I know a riding friend took a good wallop in a 6d helmet with a neck brace 6 months ago...and that miser mofo still rides in the same helmet he crashed in... so its likely he is wallet concussed. Im sure the neck brace saved him from a serious injury... not sure why he wont replace his 6d lid or send it back to them. He has no trouble buying camera or accessory farkels

Super Dave likes this.
  15. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Paid up for my Joey Dunlop Arai from the UK because I couldn't get one here (missed the boat when they were fire-selling the limited US stock of the older models). I have no issues with buying higher-end brand-name helmets with Euro certification. As mentioned, some (obviously the Europeans for one) feel it is a better helmet.

I appreciate the info and will have a look around for sales. There are some great vendors in the UK.

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm looking for a quality brain bucket for my Street Glide. Something less than $29. Please post up any deals you find here.

17. Dave Wolfe

If you add a DOT sticker to your order that comes out to $30.50 is that still OK?

Super Dave and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  18. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Damn rich people and their fancy helmets... In other news, Just paid $20K for a new 64" inch front wheel for my bagger... :p

19. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Did you get run over at tally ?

20. Dave Wolfe

Naa it was Blackhawk back in Jul '21.