1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Tire Options

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Michael Hausknecht, Mar 29, 2024.

1. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

Most people will either pick slicks or rains and take the gamble. Sometimes you’re right sometimes you’re wrong. I’ve not seen many people with an intermediate option as the mixed conditions don’t last long enough to make it worth using.

2. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

The day I became a BB fan! What an incredible race from all the guys on the grid honestly.

TLR67 likes this.
  3. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've done that for years; hence my curiosity about a possible third option. My sense is that it is more of a track day rider thing to do, where guys don't have rain tires.

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

You know I understand what you're trying to do, but the factor that makes the biggest difference is a wet track. Rains are soooooo much better than a DOT I don't see it's a viable option. And if you're racing forget about it.
    For me it's like driving on all seasons up here in the great white north or using snows. The fuckin snows make a huge difference just like rains do!

SeventeenRR likes this.
  5. William Schneider

William Schneider Well-Known Member

We had a day at Tally February last year that was very humid and light rain occasionally, so the track was not drying, but there wasn’t much water on the track. I’d call that the definition of mix lasting mixed conditions. I opted to go for a rain front and Dunlop Q3 rear with advice from Stickboy. This worked perfectly for the entire day. The rain front was chosen to have wet weather grip and the Q3 rear was chosen so it would not tear up and still work on a damp track.

418 and Michael Hausknecht like this.
  6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Hope you bought a lottery ticket after that

7. 418

418 Expert #59

I've always wondered how well something like the Michelin Road 4/5 would work in mixed conditions at the track.

8. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Me too