1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's my lube?

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Mar 30, 2024.

1. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I found out a few weeks back that the quick oil change place where I've had my oil changed for
    YEARS has not been greasing the lube points on the chasis. Tech said it had become a liability issue. So now I'm sitting at my local dealer, since they are open on Saturdays, getting my state inspection and service. I ask about chassis lube and the service writer looks at me like I have 2 heads.
    Where did the lube go in the Oil, lube & filter service? I'm getting old.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

There haven’t been grease points on cars for decades.

Dragginass likes this.
  3. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Service guy just came out after checking with his manager. I tend to hold onto vehicles, so I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the newest vehicles, but was surprised that the lube points are mostly a thing of the past. When I was a pup, I busted tires and did the oil lube and filter work at a full service gas station, but left working on cars behind me nearly 30 years ago.
    Next you're gonna tell me they're making electric vehicles.

MELK-MAN and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Make sure you pop off the wheel bearing caps and slap some lube in there too LMAO!

Pixelator and Quicktoy like this.
  5. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I drive a 24 year old vehicle and don’t have lube points. How old is yours?

6. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Currently a 2017, but mostly a motorcycle before that, although my wife has a 2011, and my son still has her previous ride, a 2004, but its been over 30 years since I've done more than change a tire on a car.

Once a Wanker.. and Quicktoy like this.
  7. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Get a side by side, they have grease zerks on all the uppy downy points.

8. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Everything is "greased for life" now. Another way they can save money making the parts, as most people didn't lube them anyway. And, Now because they are greased for (a much shorter) life, they can now SELL you more replacement parts. Win Win for everybody but you, the consumer.

cha0s#242 and 10-15 like this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, greased for life. So will your bunghole when you start replacing those parts.

You sure got a purty mouth.

cha0s#242 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  10. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Gonna disagree on this one. Re-lubeable parts would fail just as much as the new shit. The lube ports and bushings were prone to more failure then the ‘newer’ constructed permanent bushings/joints. Most folks never maintained their own shit anyway to justify the minuscule extra cost of the lube part.

11. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

also known as Planned Obsolescence

Once a Wanker.. and Dan Dubeau like this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Lots of enginerds get paid handsomely to design parts to last 36,001 miles…

Once a Wanker.. and GRH like this.
  13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

My 25 yo LX has 4 on the u joints and drive shafts.

Once a Wanker.. and Quicktoy like this.
  14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My Ford has probably 20 zerks......It's a 2120 by the way. :eek:

15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

How much was Time Machine to go pick that up?

Once a Wanker.. and Bugslayer like this.
  16. Dan Dubeau

I agree, to a point. If you're not going to properly grease and perform PM on you vehicles greasable joints then ya, they'll fail at the same interval, or probably sooner than factory greased for life fittings. If you DO perform proper PM at appropriate intervals you will see a longer life from those joints and fittings. Most people, myself included (I have no shame in admitting it) will NOT do it though. Thus, the OEM's are like "Why bother?" Saves them money making the parts, and makes them money on replacements. Why wouldn't they take advantage of that.

I'd love to see the data though as I find this stuff interesting. I'm sure fleet vehicle maintenance departments have tons of data on this stuff.

17. Dan Dubeau

My fav is zerks with sealed bearings installed lol. Missed it by >that< much.....Commonly found in mower spindles, and similar things.

ToofPic likes this.
  18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

What? No farmers here???

19. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I'm surprised this thread has remained 'on topic,' for two whole days, with this thread title.

20. Dan Dubeau

Figures, it would take a wanker to draw the connection....