1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cold plunges

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Jun 6, 2022.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

@Phl218 I used to have a similar setup. I scavenged a commercial ice machine that a client asked me to dispose of and was able to fix it. I had 50lbs of ice available every day.

The challenge was that every time you use the thing, you have to drain enough water to make up for the ice that melted from the last time. It was a hassle.

Eventually I bought a big chest freezer, put two layers of pond liner in it, and filled the bottom with a layer of tumbled stone. With 10lbs of epsom salt dissolved in it, it stayed liquid down to about 20 degrees. Fill it the first time with you in it, and you'll always have the perfect water level.

Phl218 likes this.
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

that will be the next step once i determine if this is going to be a regular thing for me. I have a chest freezer but there is food in it. And for the next year or so, i prefer to keep it as is ;)

to drain, i have an aquarium pump or a pond pump where i can attach a hose and drain through that. Also, my tub is on a wheeled frame, i can easily roll it out of the basement

3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

That would be a mistaken guess on mechanics , but understandable as it is just the second phase (first after cooling) of the process. The picture also has some potential misunderstanding due to scale. That block of ice is about 8 inches per side.
    Not sure what vendor you are referring to, unless my use of the term “pro” made you think there was money being exchanged. I don’t charge anyone for this ice, it’s just something I make in batches for cold drinks/cocktails. That void space you see isn’t void — it’s liquid phase water that now has all the impurities collected that then gets removed by puncturing the ice near the bottom of the water volume. You are left with a large block of very pure crystalline ice.

8CFC6CED-F046-4955-A830-3ECA1EE883BE.jpeg

Phl218 likes this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My bad. I thought you were providing a close-up of restaurant ice (I should have known better). The voids do as I describe in that instance...at least according to the folks that were franchising that particular enterprise.

5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

The trick is to have water slowly freeze from the top down by insulating the sides and bottom. I use a 7L Cambro cube stuffed into foil bubble pouch I had from some sort of food delivered by mail. Takes about 3 days to freeze to the level seen with about 1/6th of volume still in liquid phase. Then it’s just a matter of chipping it into appropriate size irregular shapes.

Phl218 likes this.
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think you could overanalyze rock/paper/scissors. :D

BHP41, Rico888 and Banditracer like this.
  7. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I was up in the Keweenaw a few weeks ago and there was still snow in the ditches and North facing slopes. The cabin is right on Lake Superior and it actually hurt going into the lake from the sauna.

beac83 likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

When we were in AZ, my back was a disaster when we left NJ and she booked a treatment at one of those cryogenic therapy places.

They basically put you in a freezer for about 2.5 minutes, or longer if you can tolerate it. It was interesting. I think it did help get me on the road to recovery faster, and you do feel energetic after.

9. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

That's how I learned from my great uncles and aunts in the U.P.

Sprinky likes this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

tried the cryo, but is was too short and weak for my taste , especially when you put cost in relation.

BigBird likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

it is expensive as a one time use. they do sell subscriptions...of course the do, lol

Phl218 likes this.
  12. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Must be a blast at a party.

13. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

You still doing this?

The place I sauna and float just got a cold plunge. It's amazing.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

My dick doesn't need to get that small.

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

unfortunately not for the past 3 months due to a combo of lingering bronchitis/cold/flu… but i started feeling better two weeks ago and have all the ice ready to get going again.

also got me a steam sauna, which i have been using.

I can definitely tell that my injured knee is worse without plunging.

iagsxr likes this.
  16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

upload_2024-3-25_10-20-18.jpeg

Phl218 likes this.
  17. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

If you wanna go Full Retard on dropping the temperature to your cold plunge . Add Salt it will drop the freezing point of your water . It’s a trick I do to a cooler full of beer . FYI, it will make the ice melt faster , but the water temp is insanely cold .

18. nowayout

nowayout Well-Known Member

I converted a chest freezer to cold plunge but I have been sick on and off all winter I stayed out of it. I cant wait to get back to it. Best mental relief for me.

19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Sometimes in early spring I push it and get in my pool when it's only like 84 degrees.

Do that count? :confused:

20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

:crackup: