1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Porsche guys...talk to me

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Mar 18, 2024.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

That's exactly what will happen

ChemGuy and Phl218 like this.
  2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

A totally undesirable 911, but if you want a 911, its the only affordable option. Anything else, older or newer than the type 996 is $50K+.

A good fake it till you make it car :)

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I thought the IMS issues were with the 997.1 2005-2007? I know because I had an '07 and it was supposedly after the IMS was fixed.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

IMS can be first model year 99? through part of 06 if I recall correctly. I obsessed over these cars for years. Always told myself when I hit such and such milestone in life I'd buy one, then I'd hit that mark and not do it. I've hit that mark so many times in the last 10 years that the desire has faded. Now I think I'd be happier with a first Gen 289 Mustang (65-66) convertible with a 4 speed.

Gino230 likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

99-05. The 99 used a dual row bearing and is usually okay. The 06-07 had IMS too, but evidently they were larger and can’t be replaced without engine disassembly. Sounds like they are usually okay.

Gino230 likes this.
  6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Nope...unless you can get it for damn near free. Wouldn't go near it without the opportunity to have a full inspection done on it.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It's ugly. Not the style but the colors. Puke city man.

8. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

I wanted a 996 for a long time too. Then I rented a 997 for a day to drive from Seattle up mount Rainier. It was fun, but I realized I don't have time to just go drive, and it would be a waste to have one for my commute. I still look at them from time to time, but very quickly change my mind. I have been very seriously researching Macans recently though, and am getting close to getting one.

rd400racer likes this.
  9. rd400racer

I think my moment hit when my daughter was selling them and let me take a Cayman for a couple hours. Yeah, it was a lot of fun but no more than taking my old Ducati out for a run. That's why I'd just as soon have an older classic car than a 996 now. At least it would be something unique.

cincigp and tony 340 like this.
  10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

You sound like me.

I'd much rather have a 60s car now as long as the heat and AC work.

The way the emissions regulations are about to go....vehicles with a historical plate are going to fetch a mint.

rd400racer likes this.
  11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

If you buy that car you put a ton of money into it, think you have it sorted then something major will break you'll sell the car a massive discount and end up losing your ass just run away from that POS.

PS that thing is ugly as sin

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Adam Sandler has a great song about this kind of thing.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

14. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah wouldn't be an investment vehicle.

BigBird likes this.
  16. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

you can get an automatic 996 without a salvage title for about that amount of money. not a good buy.

17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

you want to imagine puke city… I bought my 68 Firebird 400 RAII convertible in 1985 from an old lady, it was Black on black black top… sweet ride… during restoration a buddy that runs the Pontiac archives pulled the paperwork down to the window sticker… told me how rare it was… a one of one…

It was supposed to be the ugly ass green, that I hate, with gold interior, and a cream top… one of one no shit… who would want a mix of snot lugie baby shit colored booger looking muscle car…I can’t think of a more disgusting color combo :Puke::crackup:

Blammo and Gino230 like this.
  18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Evidently that is a very rare color combo on the white one. Plus VERY low miles. The bottom one seems like a pretty good deal if you want an auto, because blue seems to do better than the standard silver or black colors.

ChemGuy likes this.
  20. rd400racer

I've read that you should be a tad leary of low mile 996's. Bad thing about IMS is it gives very little warning. When I was seriously looking I added $3K to whatever one I liked because I figured I'd spent that for the repair. Or you could be like my friend that bought a 50K mile 05 for $32K about 10 years ago and didn't even know what an IMS was. When I mentioned it to him he didn't care in the slightest. Drove the piss out of it for 8 years and then sold it for more than he paid, with nary a worry in the world.

BigBird, pjdoran, Phl218 and 2 others like this.