1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2025 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Mar 18, 2024.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I can totally see his position, especially regarding contract pay and such, but unfortunately there are more good riders than good factory bikes capable of winning a championship. If he wins it all this year, Ducati can either put him next to Pecco, or let him leave. If he leaves, he arguably won't be a threat unless he takes Miller's spot on the KTM or MAYBE Vinales/Espagaro's seat on the Aprilia. The other factories are no where near championship contention yet. He's in a tough spot.

2. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I think Zarco is a much different proposition. I like him and he's for sure very talented, but he's on the back 9 of his career to say the least and the money is more important than possibly winning a championship, which I don't think even HE believes he's capable of at this point given the racers surrounding him.

3. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Surprised still no talk of Aaron Canet...

4. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

He's quietly turned into a tattoo'd spinster - no longer super young and improving, and always the bridesmaid in the standings... I like him and wanted him to get a bump 3-4 years ago but like Joe Roberts - pretty sure that ship has sailed.

CRA_Fizzer and Circacee like this.
  5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

He's a less talented Cruchlow.

cpettit, kirk erlinger and Circacee like this.
  6. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

And has a much more punchable face.

7. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

When we have our GP watching parties, we have an 'anyone but Canet' mantra. Maybe I should be more compassionate, as the guy clearly has some issues (anybody tatted up to their eyeballs, you have to wonder what happened), but he comes off as a complete douchnozzle. Fast but inconsistent, makes too many mistakes. Definitely has the speed to win a championship, but not the mind.

8. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

He's a Crayola sponsorship waiting to happen.

9. younglion

I do chuckle at his habit of wearing a bowtie on the podium as a middle finger/FU to those who've passed over him for his ink.

10. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Alonso Lopez was kind of overshadowed by Fermin last year, but I think he has the chops to move up.

11. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I have tattoos so it clearly doesnt bother me about his, but I am in the corporate world and understand the judging that takes place. I have worn long sleeve dress shirts for years to ensure I wasnt judged by my looks. I honestly think he is talented and its such a crap shoot with Moto2 success unless you are a phenom like MM93 or Acosta. I have watched Canet have some amazing moments, way more consistent then 80% of the pack.

Sure, he isnt the next Acosta but I think he would produce. Dunno, he isnt getting any younger but still think he has serious talent.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  12. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I say to everyone who will listen, he needs to ride for Harley Davidson! Those tats will be an asset not a liability!

CRA_Fizzer and younglion like this.
  13. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

ShadowBoxer and BigBird like this.
  14. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Well-Known Member

Aprilia is the last stop at a good factory team. Would they replace Aleix if they had a chance at Martin and if they have already signed quarter pounder? I would do it if I were in charge.

15. Chango

Chango Something clever!

16. younglion

Aprilia's wet dream to have Fabio and Martin next year instead of Mav and Aleix, especially since chatter is Aleix will then replace Savadori as their test rider.

ShadowBoxer likes this.
  17. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Well-Known Member

I just think it is a waste for Martin to go to Yamaha, they seem so far back that it's going to take a year or two to get up to speed. For a guy that wants to win immediately i don't see the allure to Honda or Yamaha not until '26...

18. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Winning is definitely important but the chance to make some major bank definitely has an allure to people. When you look at Marky, he made ridiculous money for so long that he can take a huge pay cut for the chance to win, instead of it being the other way around. With Ducati intentionally suppressing payroll, this might be his chance to get a big money contract for a couple of years because even if he were to get promoted to the factory, they aren't going to pay him a ton of money.

ShadowBoxer likes this.
  19. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

I disagree with the douchenozzle comment, when viewing with American eyes we are so used to "polite" rhetoric during interviews (in any sport) that it's tough for us to view many Latin riders within the context of their culture. Your observation is valid, though, as the sport grows in the US the riders will be coached. But other than that you could have been describing Canet or Vinales. Fortunately for Mav he arrived when there were spaces available.

-T

20. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Funny you should mention Vinales. I would put him in the same category. Just my knowledge of both riders interactions with different teams over the years, I feel put them in that category. Nothing to do really with their interview style. Saw Canet at COTA reaming out his mechanics one year, and I've heard that's a common thing for him. Sorry man, screaming at your teammates is bad form, in any business. Doing it repeatedly shows a lack of maturity and respect for other people. I do get where my judgement of the tattoo thing could be narrow minded. Maori often have face tattoos, but there's a cultural significance to that. I've had employees with face tattoos, and they've always had negative experiences in their past that drove that to the decision to do that.