1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawn Mower Deck v Lawn Mower Frame

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Mar 18, 2024.

?

Legit?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Definitely not

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Heard something interesting from a sales / service person: that a 54" deck is a little too much for a garden tractor because it is a little too heavy and can cause failures. Person recommended a 48" deck. The tractor in question is:

Husqvarna TS 354XD

Legit or no?

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Sounds like bullshit. What's supposed to fail ? I had a Husky with a 54" on it, nothing failed other than the junk B&S engine.

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

4. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I had the same thoughts, why would Husqvarna sell a stock machine that is "under capable" as designed. I am going to see the salesperson is a little while and get some clarification, and if they have the model I want but in a 48" deck then my suspect meter will hit the red limiter.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

got a 54" husky with a 26hp Kohler engine. 200 hrs of heavy cutting. can't see why the frame should be an issue

6. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

No experience to add but a question instead. What did he have to sell that day? Did he have to order a 54 and maybe had 48 that had been sitting for long enough that there is a spiff on it? As a former car salesman, I know lawn tractor but same shit, if their lips are moving they’re lying.

7. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Went to the showroom and talked directly to the guy and the long and short of it is that it's nothing to worry about. Basically something he saw at band camp this one time.

He did not have anything in inventory but has stuff coming in, including a model with a 48" deck.

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

My junk box Troybilt 54 inch went 18 years and the transaxle gave out long before the deck managed to damage the frame.

9. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I had a 54" Husqvarna lawn tractor with a 26hp motor. The deck did not float properly so it did a terrible job. Worst part was that it snapped 3 axles in the 5 years I owned it and they did not sell the axles separately from the transaxle. I was cheaper to find a used mower with a blown motor and raid it for parts than to replace the transaxle. I'll never buy another one.