1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Porsche guys...talk to me

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Mar 18, 2024.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

There is a last minute estate auction near me this weekend...there is a 2003 996.2 Cabriolet. They have 1 crappy picture in the flyer and I had to hunt around to find their other pictures on the web as they didnt link them from the website like normal. And the VIN they posted had an error so you couldnt decode the car.

Now there are is a newer 2016 Cayenne and some nicer classic cars at this estate so maybe enough people will show up. But I know these 996's arent highly sought after.

So what I know about it from what I can see is it is a 2003 996.2 Base with the following options:
    Exterior: Orient Red Metallic
    Interior: Savanna Beige Leather Seats
    249 Tiptronic S
    342 Heated Front Seats
    411 18" Lt Alloy Carrera Wheel
    446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
    476 Porsche Stability Management
    551 Porsche Windstop (Deflector)
    680 Bose High End Sound Package
    750 Delete Cabriolet Hardtop
    982 Supple Leather Front and Rear
    L1 Orient Red Metallic
    M6S Savanna Beige Floor Mats
    P15 Power Seat Package
    P74 Xenon Headlamp Package
    SC Savanna Beige Leather Seats
    V9 Black Top
    X45 Instrument Dials-Pntd Int Clr
    XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest

I dont know mileage or service history or anything...but many of the other cars listed are very nice. It seems from BAT and other auction sites these things are mid teens to mid 20's range...is that about right? These cars are the IMS issue cars right? If you pay to have that done what's a ball park cost these days?
    Does this gen tiptronic have any failure modes or is it good?

I can go see the car Friday and probably will. I am not looking to keep it but maybe get it for a price I can flip it and make a couple bucks.

Anyone here interested in a 996.2? @motion @Boman Forklift @Dave K :D I make you a good deal buddy!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

motion and Rico888 like this.
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I was quoted $2500-$3000 for a full IMS job a year ago or so. And yes, these used to be the bargain 911 but the prices keep going up. Word is its better to find a 996 that's been driven than one with low miles that sat.

Senna and IL8APEX like this.
  3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

In my experience, estate sale cars bring way way too much to make any money flipping them. Same with bikes. Wish you luck, and report back, but I'm betting that thing brings over retail.

notbostrom and Phl218 like this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

ChemGuy likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

An automatic, convertible is the least valuable 996. My buddie bought a black, 6 speed, with only 60K miles, for $23k last spring.

Senna, Mike Fennell and ChemGuy like this.
  6. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

Agree with RD400's thoughts.

Regardless of which Porsche you're into, from 914s to 924s to 944s to 911s, it's a $40K endeavor to get a nice car. Parts are available but expensive. If you want it to become your new hobby then go for it!

I recently bought the cheapest running 944 I could find just to get into the cars and learn. Driving a 40 year old car on the street is ridiculous fun, but a time suck.

-T

BigBird likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

is a nice gift for the wife or daughter. Or mom.

418, BigBird, Boman Forklift and 2 others like this.
  8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think my sister's Barbie had that car

BigBird, SuddenBraking and Senna like this.
  9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Not impressed with the color(s).

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Or Grandma.

Just remember. Buying a porsche is the cheapest part of owning it.:crackup:

IL8APEX likes this.
  11. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

This....
    10-15 is all the money on that one if you must..
    I sold this one (90k/Tip) for 19k

Attached Files:

• 996.jpg
      996.jpg
      File size:
      157.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    ChemGuy likes this.
  12. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Everyone bags on the IMS but those engine were also oil burners. Exs uncle had one and we did the IMS upgrade, and Ofcourse the clutch while you’re in there and then he budgeted for an engine rebuild as his was burning oil bad. automatic convertible? Many many nicer and better cars. Shit if own a c6 auto convertible before a 911.

13. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I think it's not a very desirable color combo and an auto ?? Even if its super clean with all maintenance up to date i still wouldn't go above 15k

We have a pretty hopped up 996 in the stable.

Attached Files:

Phl218 and ChemGuy like this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Thanks chemdude but I’m not interested. I’m poor! :D

ChemGuy likes this.
  15. ChemGuy

Quit spending all your $$ on LAX handles and rub-n-tugs. :D

Jed likes this.
  16. ChemGuy

The more I look at them and BAT I am worried some idtio...or really 2 idtio's who dont have a clue, will show up and bid this thing to the moon....well the moon for an auto 996.....:rolleyes:

I'm still going to look at it Friday and see what it looks like in person. There are some other smaller things I want to look at so I will se what it sell for saturday and report back.

On the color front..actually its called Oriental red and seems to actually be a rarer color. To bad it wasnt a 6spd, turbo or something more desirable. Then that rarer color may actually mean something.

17. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

a tiptronic car is boring as hell

18. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I don't know about totally boring. I think even in stock form they drive very well. Predictable steering. Comfortable for a sports car.

19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

My dad has been looking for almost that car if it was a 6 speed. The looks are pretty meh and it drives down the value but it's still a 911. (kinda, shut up purists!)

Seems like the only affordable way in at this point. I'd love a GT2 manual but evidently so would everyone else. I can't find one under $200K.

20. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Now that the LS swap has become popular even the best up no one wanting them before 996s go for some $$ cuz someone wants to put an Ls in it.

Cooter! likes this.