1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting inside of bodywork

Discussion in 'General' started by backho, Mar 14, 2024.

1. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Painting the inside of bodywork not only looks cool, but is definitely faster than even rim tape. What’s the best procedure/before or after the outside?

2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Something I would never do. Fiberglass repairs over paint is much less effective

3. Dillonjohnson

Dillonjohnson Well-Known Member

We always used black farm implement roll on paint. Doesn't take very long, and definitely looks better..

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Decoupage centerfolds on there.

backho, backbone and Riot like this.
  5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I used truck bed liner once. It was stupid heavy but worked.

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Extra weight for no reason.

BrentA and brex like this.
  7. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

We do that on nice jobs where weights not an issue, murder the bodywork BEFORE you start prepping it.
    Back mask some areas or just touch up any overspray with black rattlecan when the jobs done.

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I was on a Yosh replica TL1000R that I had. Let's be really clear about weight. That was one girl who was never gonna be skinny :D

9. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I usually just use a cheap rattlecan black on the inside after paint. If you are using professional equipment and paints, it seems to be a pain in the butt to keep overspray from getting on the inside. I don't even mask off the fresh paint when I spray the black rattle can on. If you get a little on the fresh paint, just wipe it off with naptha or a similar thinner quickly. Mild solvents wont hurt cured quality paints.

backho likes this.
  10. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

I have never once thought about what the inside of my body panels looked like until I realized some thermal insulation was required... :crackup:

11. Dillonjohnson

Dillonjohnson Well-Known Member

Ya I mean there is definitely weight added, but to be completely honest I think it helped the fairings crash. We always used to use sharkskinz, and fixing it was noticeably easier. It added like what, at the absolute most a pound. It looked way cleaner, and it held up better, probably because implement paint is thick AF. 1 pound won’t hurt me a bit, hell 20 pounds, I bet money I go the exact same speed. This is what I noticed anyways, results may vary.

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Harder to see leaks and find fasteners and bolts…. I do paint behind the ears but that’s it..

13. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the responses. It’s probably easier to mask off the convex outside surfaces than the concave inside surfaces. I just like the look of a flat black interior.