1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on CVT's...Good, bad and ugly

Discussion in 'General' started by Bloodhound, Mar 12, 2024.

1. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

I did initially search the all knowing beeb but came up dry.

All manufacturers seem to be going to them, last I knew I thought they would be the kiss of death for Ford (Escapes anyhow) and Nissans. Do they hold up? Are they all junk? I was eyeballing a Honda the other day until I saw those 3 letters in the build spec.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Shit boxes...Nissan changes them at about the same rate they do oil changes.

TurboBlew, 418, gsxr1000bill and 4 others like this.
  3. Bloodhound

I thought that was the general consensus until I saw Honda started dumping them into their Civic's ..... I didn't know if they are, by design, disposable crap or if Nissan and the like were just legendarily terrible.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Good - None Ive heard of

All Bad and Ugly....

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

They are garbage. Nissan and Ford being the worst.

6. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

Toyota's might be the closest to being a decent transmission, but still....NO.

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Reliability on the Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura have been pretty good. With that said, if they ever do break, they are still more expensive than getting a traditional automatic repaired or replaced. Doing a 3-year lease and don't mind the way it fakes shifts? Go for it. Otherwise, would avoid if you can find another vehicle that meets your needs for similar money.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

9. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

My Nissan has one and it’s junk. Can’t repair it and can either put a new one in for $5k or put a used one in for half that but still would worry about a used one going bad. Makes zero sense to put a $5k transmission into a car that’s worth $5k! F u Nissan

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The BBS is full up with opinions on CVTs (search function is wonky on some things) and the general consensus is that they are complete shit. Nissan and (surprisingly) Honda being bitched about most.

what I learned. DO NOT buy a Nissan with a cvt.

Once a Wanker.. and Bloodhound like this.
  11. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I have one in my little Lexus hybrid (UX250h). 120k miles and flawless. Changed the fluid at 100k and wasn’t even that dirty.

23103a likes this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Avoid, at all costs. It’s basically a centrifugal clutch and belt setup, just like a mini bike.

If you want a quality small car with a normal automatic transmission, Mazda is about your only option, these days. You could take a risk and look at VW, with DCT or manual. You have a manual option in certain Subaru WRX trims, as well.

Bloodhound likes this.
  13. Bloodhound

I was hedging a bet if Honda was using one it was pretty decent....guess not but looks like I'm looking for something else for a DD.

14. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Toyota hybrid CVT has a very good reputation.

Our Lexus 450h with 170k miles still drives just like it did when it was new. My FIL had a Prius with 290k miles and it was still decent to get around.

SpeedyTide, ducnut and Bloodhound like this.
  15. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's to bad, hard to find a small car without a cv transmission.

16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Bought my wife a 23 CRV with a variable transmission… I was very hesitant but honestly it’s been rock solid and good..

23103a likes this.
  17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I had no complaints about the CVT in my Civic.

18. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Our experience was that they're the Bic lighter of transmissions. Works great until it quits working right, then you throw it away and get another. We had two Subarus with them.

casjoker and ducnut like this.
  19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Rent one like I did from the Denver Airport and drive it up and down Pikes Peak for 4 days. You'll curse and hate it as much as I did. Just say no

Jon Bawden and fzrkidd like this.
  20. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

As a guy who has worked in the Subaru factory here in Lafayette, IN for 17 years, I can honestly say that I don't hear about a lot of transmission issues out of our vehicles. Everything we make has one. We obviously have a much higher percentage of Subarus in this town (half the population drives one it seems like and a lot of those people work here), and no one I know has had major issues. I've owned 3 myself and after getting used to them I've never had a problem. I even tow my bikes around with an Ascent.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    skidooboy, 5axis, Jed and 1 other person like this.