1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZX6R Fork misalignemnt

Discussion in 'Tech' started by cade utegg, Mar 10, 2024.

1. cade utegg

cade utegg Member

I have a 2008 ZX6R that I have a problem with getting the front wheel to be straight with the triple tree when everything is together. I've had the whole front end apart, the forks are straight and it hasn't been crashed other than a few low sides (that I know of). What would this be indicative of? I've done lots of trackdays and multiple race weekends with no issues but it definitely bothers me.

Any insight would be helpful, I could even post pictures but its very challenging to see it without looking at it in person. TIA

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Installing the front wheel improperly is common - people don’t always tighten things in the correct order.

A bent lower triple is somewhat common. Dents in the steering stops can be a good indicator that it’s likely bent. Or if it’s difficult to slide the forks into both triples, something is bent.

Are you sure the forks are straight? You have them apart and measured them with a dial indicator?

cade utegg likes this.
  3. cade utegg

cade utegg Member

I'll double check the forks and make sure I'm doing everything right. I'll also look into the triple tree and report back. Should the forks slide in effortlessly?

4. cade utegg

cade utegg Member

here’s what I found. I appreciate the insight!

Attached Files:

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  5. backbone

backbone scarred for life

The lower triple is likely bent.
    Also, the only way to check USD forks is to take them apart.

6. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Grab all the bolts, loosen up the triples, top clamp, wheel axle, pinch bolts, brake calipers. Make sure its all loose, with the bike on a rear stand move to the front of the bike and grab the front wheel with your legs, with your hands grab both handle bars. Twist the steering left to right slightly and center the position as best as possible. Step back, make sure the front wheel and everything is aligned then tighten up the bolts.

7. cade utegg

cade utegg Member

You were spot on. Replacing the lower triple fixed my issue you. Thank you.

Once a Wanker.. and stangmx13 like this.