1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Ford Mechanics

Discussion in 'General' started by bpro, Mar 1, 2024.

1. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I purchased a Ford Maverick ecoboost AWD Lariat in May of last year. I have a question on maintenance.

Basically in the 10 months I have owned it, due to various reasons I have only put 2,000 miles on it. Would it be a good idea to have it serviced even though from what I have read service intervals are 10,000 miles for this car.

It seems like I should, but I have never run into this situation. I like this car a lot and don't want to cause issues with the warranty.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure it'd affect the warranty any but with Evelynes stuff she never comes close to hitting the mileage - her last one got traded with like 12k on the clock after 7 years - so we do oil changes yearly just to be sure it's all good.

bpro likes this.
  3. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Recent study shows time is not important, mileage is

So, no

4. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

probably more important to make sure you get a decently long drive in and let that engine get up to temp and everything else moving.

bpro likes this.
  5. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I'd change the oil, cheap insurance, but I'm not the type to go 10k between oil changes either

skidooboy, TurboBlew and bpro like this.
  6. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Agreed. I have had an interesting year and since Halloween have been unable to drive. To date longest trip was to a car show, about 50 miles each way. It has been interesting watching the average MPG rise from new as things break in. Mostly surface streets and city driving. Once I am back driving I plan to make a long drive, maybe to a race weekend.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I would dump whatever is in the engine and figure out which synth youre gona use, change it, and send it. The OLM counts time based on 12 months as well as usage...my 150 gets changed at 50-60% on the life monitor it barely sees a few hundred miles a month on avg.

bpro likes this.
  8. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Not a fan of the 10,000 mile oil changes, and if you do some research, many point to this is "sufficient" to get you through your warranty time/miles, for the manufacturer, and not good for long term retention of the auto for the end consumer. For me with new cars, first oil and filter change is 1500-2000 miles to get out all of the "manufacturing" impurities. The second change is at about 3500-4000, next is at about 6500-8000 with a tire rotation. Then I go 5-6000 per change, and rotate then too. Oil and filters are cheap, having the dealership rats need to rebuild your motor in or out of warranty, doesnt excite me. TLDR, 3 oil changes by 10,000 miles, then every 5-6000. Dont forget to rotate yo tyres. :D Ski

TurboBlew, DaveB and bpro like this.
  9. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Agree with the more frequent oil changes. I don't have a Ford but a Ford tech I trust said he recommends 6mo or 5,000 mile changes on the EcoBoosts. He has worked on many sludged up ones that went for the 10K changes.

skidooboy, bpro and gixxerboy55 like this.
  10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Change it.

Change it once a year or every 5k miles. Going 10K is just asking for issues with an already risky power plant.

thrak410 likes this.
  11. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Yup this is what I do with our vehicles too... the commuters are every 5k, the toy cars are ever year between Xmas and New Years. :) Easy schedule!