1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slowing Down Dinosaurs

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by ronin1052, Feb 23, 2024.

1. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

As I was a teen in the early '80s, I have a fondness for the bikes of that era.
    My current vintage stable:
    '80 GS1100E, '84 ZX900A Ninja, '84 VF500F Mini-Ceptor.
    I love riding these old bikes - but one must accept them for what they are, and understand their inherent limitations.

As has often been the case, engine tech far outpaced suspension & braking development.
    These 3 all have wooden-feeling brakes that kinda sorta work.
    GS1100 & Ninja 900 have single-pot calipers, VF has twin-pots hamstrung by the TRAC anti-dive system.

Can any of the vintage types suggest brake pad(s) that get the best out of these archaic calipers?
    Pad wear is not a concern, as they don't get a lot of miles annually.
    Modding is not an option - that's not what these bikes are about.

MANY moons ago, I had organic Ferodo 2453 pads on my '80 GS750E, as those were the hot ticket BITD.
    They actually worked pretty good, but I doubt they are still available.

Just hoping I can perhaps get these dinosaurs slowing with a bit more alacrity.
    Any tips/info is appreciated!

2. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

No info on pads but maybe cut your losses and sell me the VF500?

3. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Ha!

VF500F is Mrs. Ronin's ride - It's not going anywhere.
    Fun little bike!
    Currently in the process of rebuilding/restoring a Fox Twin Clicker (remember those?) for it.

Mike Fennell likes this.
  4. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

The VF was my first bike. First race bike too. I had a Fox Twin Clicker on it and a Hindle 4into1.

A clean one, identical to mine, went through Iconic last week for $3k.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've got a 77 GS750, first year 2 valve that I went thru, single front disc. A braided line helps, as far as pads, I'm a PU dealer and at the time all they carried for pads that fit it were Tufstop's. They're a fairly soft organic pad that work ok. I can check on availability tomorrow when I'm in the shop if you want.

6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Back in the day I ran EBC or SBS on the miniceptors. I think EBC only had one compound back then and the same for SBS. Is SBS still around?

7. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Could you upgrade the brake system with newer calipers that fit your bike??? Then you could use newer pad materials and have a much more robust braking system.

I run 2000-2001 Yamaha R1 "blue dot" brake system (lever, resovoir, lines, calipers, etc) on my 87 FZR750RT track toy.