1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trail running shoes

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I've finally given in to the super cushion runners and love my Saucony Peregrin's. Even for just daily's the knee's feel so much better.

I haven't ventured to try Hoka's or OC's. I did give Asics and Brooks a shot but they broke down way too fast and felt like I was running on wood.

Any other fav's or advice before I pull the trigger?

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Give the Altra Olympus a look.

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Salomon Speedcross

SteveThompson, MGM and RM Racing like this.
  4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Awesome shoes, will wear out soles if you use them on hard surfaces. The laces are great.

redtailracing likes this.
  5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

When I tried the Hoka shoes, the deep cushion caused some stability problems for me. With the road shoes, my left knee started hurting after about 100 miles. I had to give up on them before 150. The trail shoes did a little better, but not much. I tried them because one of the trainers at the gym gave me a code good for a big discount. I went back to Brooks and I get around 400 miles per pair. Then they get retired running to be my daily shoes.

scottn likes this.
  6. Hyperdyne

The woman lover her Brooks and that's about what she gets out of them. I have tried them but they were just too stiff.

stickboy274 likes this.
  7. Hyperdyne

The speedcross are great. Just not as much cushion as I need.

8. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Asked this same question to a group running the Manitou’s Revenge last year. Brooks Cascadia was the default shoe. I'd question any of their choices though as they're clearly wackos.

"This is a grueling, gnarly, nasty course with approximately 15,000 ft. of climbing, much of it rocky and precipitous. To be sure, there are some runnable sections, but you will more often find yourself hiking uphill or down, sometimes hand over hand. Expect this course to take you much longer than your average 50 miler. That’s why we are allowing 23 hrs. to complete this monster. Because of its remote and difficult nature, there will of necessity be a limited number of aid stations, only 9, and runners should be prepared to spend up to 3 or 4 hrs between aid stations. You will have to be reasonably self-sufficient. To make matters worse, the course gets progressively more difficult as you go along! And to top it all off, the average runner will have to tackle this hardest terrain in the dark"

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Currently on my third pair of Nike Pegasus Trail 4. Only thing I don't like about them is the big GORE-TEX print on the inside of the shoe. Initially went with them because they were the most comfortable waterproof option for wet days and ended up using them all the time.

10. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Yeah, um.... I got nuthin'

11. Michael Bassani

Michael Bassani Well-Known Member

I put about 600 miles between two pairs of Altra Lone Peak 6, and another 150 on my current pair of Lone Peak 7.
    I tend to over pronate a bit, I have a wide foot, and the 0mm heel to toe drop took a bit to get used to for me personally.
    The Lone Peaks have been my go to shoe after trying probably a dozen or so other models for the immediate comfort and incredible grip.
    Being able to run over sketchy terrain and not have to worry about grip is a major boon.

Shoes are incredibly subjective so go and try out as many as you can.

12. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

100 MILES AND RUNNIN???

13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I've got the Saucony Endorphin Edge. I really enjoy the support of the carbonfiber plate in the sole. I have high arches and the plate seems to compliment my insoles. My feet are less tired at the end of any activity - which probably means I'm faster. The toe box is nice and roomy too.

14. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

FBI sources tell us that the four are headed 100 miles to their home base, Compton

If I was one of the four, I'd be in Brooks

15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Hoka Speedgoats are great for rocky terrain. The feel slow on pavement and dirt roads but they have been great for me. Especially on descents.

16. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

Go to a store where you can try on 10 pairs of different brands and models in your gait. All feet are not the same so dont buy based on recommendation. Also, if youre not used to Altras zero drop you will go out and blow out your achilles.

17. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

threadjack.....How you healing?

18. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Slowly, I've been back in the hospital three times fighting infection, but its ffinally starting to heal shut on the left leg. The right is doing really well and pegleg 3.2 actually fits and is stabil to stand on. Fingers crossed that I can get fitted up on the left in late March or early April and finally leave the wheelchair at home.
    Once mobile I will start modifying the bike and hopefully be riding again by mid May.
    Thanks for asking. The past 12 months have been interesting, but I'm keeping my sense of humor and still making plans for the future.

19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Right on....I've seen bits and pieces of your bad luck journey to say it mildly. You're local to me and I know we've ridden/raced together before.

My days at the track are all but over. You may as well get a SxS and hit the trails with a bunch of us ex-racers local to ya. :beer:

bpro likes this.