1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA: Race Tires & Race Tracks

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jul 29, 2018.

1. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Personally, I wouldn't be thrilled about it, but a wrapped and inside-stored tire should be plenty fine.

2. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

Ok thanks.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

First off have you talked to Mark about this? And what tires are these, can't see thru the plastic? Pic of date code?

4. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I'm more concerned with storage/temps than I am date codes, but I can't argue that the older the tire, the more of a chance it has to be subjected to freezing temps if it was transported a lot during the time it sat. However, never had much of an issue with tires several years old.

5. bsanorton

Super corsa TD, year is 20

6. bsanorton

Yes spoke to Mark. He said it should have never been shipped to me. The warehouse should not ship anything older then 2 years. He said it should be fine and will give me a discount. The year code was 20

Mike Fennell and mpusch like this.
  7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

So i see its a V3 Supercorsa DOT TD SC3 and as I expected Mark is tAking care of you. So everything is good

PatricksDad and bsanorton like this.
  8. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

just last year i ran a michelin 1910, ya thats old from around 2012. now, yes i can slide a rear and have fun with it and i did take it easy at first, but it was completely fine and i did around 50 laps on it. and ive ran frozen tires without issue. as long as there are no cracks , giver

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Since it has been mentioned a few times recently I will clarify cold/frozen tires. Think about them this way, you cannot pull a sirloin right out of the freezer and put it on the grill and expect a great steak in 20 minutes, right?
    If a high performance/race tire goes below say 39f then is brought up to ambient temps it will perform as designed. What causes the tire to crack (glass styrene fracture) is mishandling, bouncing around in a truck, dropping it, etc.
    And if it happens while being transported by the tire company it is a shipping damage claim. IT IS NOT a defective tire and hence cannot be a warranty claim.

What ya got Jimmy BBS?

racepro171 likes this.
  10. bsanorton

Well I mounted that 2020 tire that Mark said I should be fine and heard air escaping. Thought the bead was not seated. Upon future inspection there is a pin hole in the sidewall. I am more then pissed after busting my ass. And never got my discount.

Attached Files:

11. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I've never seen or heard of a hole in a new tire like that. Wild.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

It never could've left the factory like that so...

mpusch likes this.
  13. bsanorton

Yeah well it wasn't me and they missed the date too don't forget. They are not supposed to ship out anything older then 2 years. I treated them with care. Mounted the Q5's I received from STG that was going on my Street triple. Went on good and no leaks. Needed to get a set on for my track weekend on the 16th and leaving for vacation. I have no time. Hooking up with Mark on Friday at Daytona to get a replacement.

14. bsanorton

Attached Files:

15. bsanorton

Dunlops mounted and balanced and put on bike. Getting a new Pirelli Friday on my day off. Then vacation then track weekend. I'll save the Pirelli's for another time. Seems I don't have to worry how soon I use them lol.

Attached Files:

16. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

What track weekend are you doing on the 16th?

17. bsanorton

Jennings

18. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Related to date codes, I run a 180/55 DOT SC3 on the back of my bike currently. Last season, availability was tight and I had to buy from another vendor. I finished out the season on it (I got 'lucky' with shitty weather and managed 4 days on a rear). For this season, I ordered in advance from Trackside. I was surprised to see that the date code on the tire on my bike from last season is 3422 and the new tires I have in the basement are 3322. Does Pirelli just suck at shipping?

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

So you're bitching about a tire that's about a year and a half old? And in a size that was the least popular in either a slick or DOT even when I ran the show 7 and a half years ago? Ever think that a vendor returned it to the warehouse? And btw it's way less than 2 years old.

20. bsanorton

What's the most common size for 5.5 inch rim?. I went with what I had on my SV650. It was also on my Street triple (180/60/17)