1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW M1000RR at the lightning lap

Discussion in 'General' started by khill, Feb 22, 2024.

1. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Senna, RightSideUp, TurboBlew and 5 others like this.
  2. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

Watching the onboard really makes me want to go there finally. Shame they dont offer the grand course. Anyone ever run the full course on a 1000cc? What top speed do you get up to before braking for T13/14?

3. kirk erlinger

kirk erlinger Well-Known Member

Worth viewing, Nate is awesome. Combined North & South course, looks like alot of fun to ride!

4. kirk erlinger

kirk erlinger Well-Known Member

not sure what T13/14 is? Believe I saw 170mph on his video at the end of the long straight on South course; thought it would have been higher?

5. moto316

I’m referring to the full course layout, not the grand course that he was running

kirk erlinger likes this.
  6. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

I saw that bike sitting on slicks in the BMW display at the 24hrs in Daytona. Didn't know it was "raced"
    Was pointing out the front tire to a couple buddies who don't know anything about racing a motorcycles. I know only slightly more.

Me pointing: " Damn, look at the front tire. Someone's pushed the hell out of it"
    Unfamiliar voice from behind me: Yeah it was raced against a bunch cars in a promotional event.
    Me being ignorant: Really, a pro racer? Who raced it?
    Unfamiliar bearded guy now standing beside me: Me, extends hand, Hi I'm ......

And that's how I met Nate Kern.

7. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

I am sad about the lack of bike events at VIR. I used to go regularly to the VIR MotoAmerica race with my family. Would have been nice to be able to race there with WERA/CCS. Regarding top speed, I remember a few years back Gerloff hit over 180mph on the start/finish straight (MotoAmerica just did the North course). That's as fast as I could make my R1 go at Daytona flat out...hard to imagine doing that on that narrow track through the kink!

Once a Wanker.. and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  8. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

We use to do the full course at track days there. It was insane going into the rollercoaster on a built R1. That tree would hang over the far corner. I forget how long that straight is but felt like faster than RRR

9. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

A couple years ago I did an N2 event and we ran the Full Course. There was an issue that was disliked by all riders. On the long straight from the Oak Tree turn onto the North course, they had a incredibly sharp chicane about 2/3's of the way down the straight. It was a 1st gear chicane that ruined an absolutely awesome layout. Being part of the N2 staff, we had a discussion about the chicane after the fact and we unanimously said we should not run that chicane if we ever get the chance again. I don't know if it was a track requirement, but I heard they didn't like the bike's speed at the end of that straight because of the guardrail on the other side of the North course. If someone's brakes fail at that point, it would be very very bad.

10. moto316

yea, same thing that ruined Pitt race for me. If that chicane is still part of the course I wont be going back.

11. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

This industry needs more Nates.

The few occasions I've had a chance to converse with him have been revelations. Such a fantastic ambassador not only for BMW, but this sport in general.

12. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

In October, N2 did not use the Motoamerica chicane. It was well received by all.

Once a Wanker.. and moto316 like this.
  13. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

N8’s always been gr8!!!!

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  14. moto316

No word yet on what config WERA plans on using during the national weekend there.