1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air compressor experts?

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, Feb 19, 2024.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Replacing my aging 10hp 3 phase compressor at the shop. We only need 25-30 CFM so most likely I'll downsize.

Any particular unit that's significantly better than others? Price is a concern but secondary to durability. US made is a priority, at least as much as that's possible anymore.

2. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

3. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Probably anything that is Devilbiss and Ingersoll-Rand. They've had great reputations for a long time, although I'm not sure where either are made anymore.

JBraun likes this.
  5. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Don’t know if it will put out the CFM you’re looking for (those numbers are big), but the Eastwood scroll compressor is finding its way into my shop if my current compressor even burps once.

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Those california compressors are cool. Look for the time lapse video of the alum. tank swelling and contracting. Still good quite design.

RichMangus likes this.
  7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

'Merica! F^&* Yeah!

If your not looking at a 100hp rotary screw compressor making 300-400 CFM, a dryer and 1000gal tank your a Commie! This is 'Merica! Go Big or go back to that commie Euro S^*(Hole you come from, Hell Yeah!

Over size...??? Whats that? I use a Army surplus M35A2 2 1/2ton truck to tow a 4x8 harbor freight trailer with my Elctra-Road Nozzle-King-Glide Harley....because "MERICA! thats why. Why do just enough when you can do 8x too much...Hell Yeah.

JBraun and PatricksDad like this.
  8. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

9. 72westie

72westie Well-Known Member

If you do get one, drain water from the oil tank daily. We bought one for our shop a couple years ago. I love how quiet it is, but we’ve had 2 burn up on us. Eastwood has replaced them under warranty, they seem to last about 12-16 months at best. The latest one does have some improvements, but still not expecting it to last.

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

11. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Thank you for the feedback on them. That’s the first negative thing I’ve heard. If the next one tanks, give us an update please?

12. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Old Quincy's are great. US made...durable, reliable all that $hit.

I know nothing of any recent products but would expect them to be of lower quality to meet a "price point" and not last decades like the 50's, 60's & 70's models will.

mastermind likes this.
  14. 72westie

72westie Well-Known Member

First one was accidentally left on one night (I normally turn it off every night) and when I got to work, the pressure relief valve was stuck open and it had been running for quite a while. Shop had a Cheech and Chong haze to it. Ended up it had melted the plastic oil line.

Replacement worked fine for about 14 months, then the motor failed. They were going to send a motor but instead sent a whole new one. Didn’t want the old one back (had to ship first one back)

15. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Which model did you buy?

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I have a quote for a 7.5 hp Champion Evolution. Looks like a nice product but I can't figure out where they're made and that's usually not a good sign. Anybody know for sure?

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

JBraun likes this.
  18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Boman Forklift likes this.
  19. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I have this Quincy in my shop
    5hp single phase 80 gals
    I bought it thru Northern Tool probably 10 years ago
    I added the auto drain valve at the bottom
    It's been a really good compressor and I'd buy again
    It's a little under your CFM needs but I'm sure they offer something in that range
    IMG_3677.jpeg

JBraun and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Check out Castair. I have an older 6hp, single stage, twin cylinder vertical tank model that has been very reliable. If it ever dies, I will replace the pump with a two stage(got this one, like new, for $250, so couldn't be choosy). I believe that are made right here in Minnesota.
    https://castair.net/

JBraun likes this.