1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lemon Law….anybody go through it?

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Jan 11, 2024.

1. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Send him to Cleveland and I’d gladly pay for that repair! None of the transmission shops will touch it, they either want to install a used one or a brand new one.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I went through this in Florida with a Chevy truck. The biggest thing is to google the Florida lemon law and be nice to your dealer and meet all of the requirements before you mention lemon law. I did that and the minute I mentioned lemon law they became totally different to deal with thinking they were going to avoid the lemon law but I already had met the criteria.

They offered to give me full price back on the truck and found me the exact truck at a dealer for me to pick up. I had no issue with that and I am sure they sent the "lemon" to auction.

3. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper Active Member

Yes. Its is a rarity and something wrong with this particular unit. I would even be open to a new transmission but they have supply chain issues on those for some reason.

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

OP,
    My wife went through this a couple years ago. While she was just outside the mileage for Florida's Lemon Law a very helpful lady at the Better Business Bureau told her about this US code which she used at mediation and won her the case. Hope it helps.
    lemon.jpg

BigBird likes this.
  5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Yep exactly how mine was handled

6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Just had my call with NCDS mediator and Toyota rep this morning. Meeting went smoothly and I presented video evidence of the issue at hand and records of all the repair attempts and Toyota corporate's response that the condition is an "operating characteristic" of the vehicle.

If you're interested in seeing just how bad it has gotten feel free to have a listen. First truck is my wife's 2022 Limited, second truck is a 2021 Limited with 10K more miles, both running at idle.

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Did you buy this in Melbourne? Get the lifetime powertrain?

8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

And they're telling you that's normal. No fucking way, something is obviously wrong.

9. NemesisR6

No, Mike Erdman in Cocoa, but Melbourne does all our service as they are way closer and we've been happy with them in the past.

Our Highlander that we bought from them new in 2010 gave us 12 years of perfect performance and reliability.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It's got kind of a jungle beat to it.

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

On the positive side, your engine won't make it to the inevitable frame rust-through event.

12. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

That is corporate Toyota's stance on a lot of "issues" people are seeing with Tacoma's. TacomaWorld forum, is full of those responses. Sorry you are going through this. Hopefully they just buy it back. Ski

13. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

WTF is that noise? Cam chain flopping around?

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I just bought a 4Runner from Melbourne and was surprised they offered the lifetime powertrain. I'm glad the dealer I was originally talking to dicked around or I never would have called Melbourne.

15. NemesisR6

"Official" report is the vacuum pump assembly. However, they've replace it twice with no improvement and it keeps getting worse.

I said it sounds like Forrest Gump is playing ping-pong in my engine bay.

skidooboy likes this.
  16. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Every time I think I’m ready to shell out for a new vehicle, something like this thread comes along and scares me straight. I would consider Tacomas and Miatas to be two of the most reliable cars out there.

17. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

There is a bulletin on the vacuum pump. They were trying. Maybe the injectors are stuck in cleaning mode, they make a tick (but, not that loud) as well. Ski

18. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

The ND1 Miata had more of this, the transmission was designed for the 1.5L Japanese motor and a small percentage of them didn't handle the additional power of the US spec 2.0L very well. It really became more of an issue when people started to track them.

Short version, this is a known weakness (the NC transmissions are also a weakness for endurance raced Miatas) which has been updated / mitigated for the ND2 but the transmissions just aren't that robust. For the MX-5 Global Cup they ended up just moving to SADEV transmissions for reliability.

I had an ND1 and turned it into a street / track car and never had an issue but that might just be luck of the draw.

Walther Motorsports builds a fantastic ND transmission using their own gearset but it's a little spendy. That said, it's very robust and shifts like a rifle bolt. Adding a transmission cooler also helps for track use.

I'd pretty much consider the ND transmission a consumable item. They're pretty cheap used and easy to drop in so...

I'm on my second (this one is track only) ND1 Miata so I still think they're worth it.

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  19. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

Send an oil sample to black stone or the like and make sure it’s not eating its self . Oil sample good , no worries .

Phl218 likes this.
  20. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Does the lemon law extend past vehicles or does it only apply to cars/trucks?

NemesisR6 likes this.