1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help finalizing my landing gear

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, Feb 12, 2024.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

The landing gear project on my FZ07 never has come to a completion. I have the hard parts machined and installed. I just need help to install a way to pull the gear down to the lowered position and also retract it up. I have several ideas to do this but I don't have any equipment or resources to complete it. Running endurance I really haven't needed landing gear since I was always starting and stopping from hot pit. In 2024 I want to add in some Sprint racing and I want to grid up on the track. Only way to do this is with landing gear. So, putting out a call for help on the almighty beeb. Pic shows what I have. My initial thought is to use a linear actuator attached to a cable to pull it down. Then use a spring to pull it up and remove the slack in the cable when the linear actuator is reversed. I have a hazard light switch on the right clip on which would be perfect to use for controlling the actuator.

Attached Files:

Senna likes this.
  2. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Saw something similar at Miller Motor Sports Park, ~ 2014/15
    His setup attached to, and rotated, near the middle of the lower seat sub frame.
    it used a linear motor, which allowed “over center” when full down. Maybe against the foot pegs ?
    It retracted along the lower edge of the tail section, ending slightly beyond the tail section.
    The splayed leg concept allowed more width between the landing wheels (which were inline skate wheels).
    Don’t remember the riders name, but I got the impression he was a local.
    It was WERA, so maybe the PIE GUY can remember ..
    @Mongo

50Joe likes this.
  3. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

PM incoming.

Shenanigans and 50Joe like this.
  4. backho

backho Well-Known Member

SundaySocial and 50Joe like this.
  5. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I'm sure you've thought of this but- on most aircraft the gear is only actuated UP so that it can fail to the down position in some fashion. Not sure you'd want that here as it could cause a worse crash if it fails down while you're riding.

But the advantage of a one way system is that something holds it up, and it's spring loaded to the down position (or vice-versa.) so it could be actuated by something small, simple, and light like a solenoid. Curious to see what you guys come up with.

6. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Aaron is his first name. He was around when I was racing there. Good guy.
    He is running cars now, my son does track days with him. I'll hit up my boy and see if he has contact info.

Senna, SundaySocial and 50Joe like this.
  7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I know Aaron. His systems were always mounted up high and used much more real estate. I'm going for very compact and down low like you see.

Bugslayer likes this.
  8. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I can't really tell from the picture. Are there hard stops to limit the rotation of the arms?

If there are hard stops that these will rest against, and set so in the 'lowered' position, the weight of the bike/rider wouldn't cause them to retract, then maybe you add a cam on the pivot points like on throttle bodies, that gives you both push and pull directions, and use a locking control cable from some industrial supplier.

Something like what this company makes?
    https://cablecraft.com/home/actuati...uation-overview/products/hand-control-valves/

Use a magnet to reduce the likeliness of the wheels falling down while riding?

If you can't do a manual lever, maybe a servo setup? I don't know an obvious choice, but my mind went to RC style servos.
    https://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/industrial_series/md980tw-22mm-coreless-titanium-gear-high-torque/product

**edit
    Saw this site. Pictures show them supplying for FSAE. Maybe one of their engineers could find a solution that works for you.
    https://push-pull.com/gallery/customers/

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  9. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Gotcha.

10. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Those are definitely some good ideas. I do have hard stop locations for the landing gear. In the down position the wheels are just past 90 degrees. The up position has the wheels tucked right under the footpegs. I just need a way to push/pull the gear and when in the down position have it solid so they won't rotate up if I'm rolling on them.

11. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Probably over thinking this but I'm sure it could be simplified.

You see the airjack systems in sports car racing that they activate for the pit stops.
    Think using something like a drag motorcycle air shift kit, use the swingarm as the air tank, if tank space is tight.
    Using a switch or return spring on cylinder, Install one (2 maybe overkill) a smaller version of the
    AP Racing race car air jack. https://apracing.com/race-car/air-jacks/air-jack-standard-duty/cp3985-family
    upload_2024-2-12_13-8-57.png
    If using one jack, you'd need a horizontal brace on the bottom, with the wheels on it. Mount the air cylinder like or near the shock.
    A 2 jack system would be overkill and need a cylinder on each side, kinda under or just behind the pegs. May be feasible for Para's on big Goldwings and junk.
    A mini compressor keeping the tank full of air with a visual on gauge, It could be built to deploy as fast or slow as you want.
    upload_2024-2-12_13-9-55.png

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    50Joe likes this.
  12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

These rotate back correct?

Add 2 links with a pivot in the middle and a driver from the front. When the driver retracts it pulls the wheels up. When its out it prevents wheel collapse.

Black is links. Red is driver....Could be air, screw, solenoid, etc.

[​IMG]

50Joe likes this.
  13. jeff92

jeff92 Active Member

50Joe likes this.
  14. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

The little wheels rest right under the foot pegs in the up position.

15. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Reminds me of something from this crazy contraption.
    Youtube search "Car or Motor Bike? Jeremy tries out the EcoMobile".
    About a minute in, it shows the linkage on how they actuate the arms.

50Joe likes this.
  16. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

50Joe likes this.
  17. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

18. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

The linkage from that first link here:

50Joe likes this.
  19. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

Otherwise, a Morse push/pull cable running from the front (Pulling it down against a stop - highly unlikely to collapse) would work. Lots of different ways to push/pull said cable....

I've always bought those cables from Motion Industries.

50Joe likes this.