1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA: Race Tires & Race Tracks

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jul 29, 2018.

1. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great idea

2. Patman623

Patman623 Active Member

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie has given sage advice. I'll be Jimmy bbs and say that at the novice level of track days and racing, a tire is a tire is a tire. It'll take you a hot minute to figure out what you like and what works for you. That information will only come with track time. For now, just get seat time and don't sweat details. Seat time, grasshopper, seat time.

BrentA likes this.
  3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

No idea, never used them. And I'm definatley not a an oracle on tires. Just really like the Metzelers out of the tires I've ridden.

4. bsanorton

Thank you

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Hey Jimmy
    Nortonbsa came in this thread at post 67 and he's asking about tires and he ALREADY has ton of questions, right? My simple concept is for him to go to the track and talk to those local tire guys. By doing so he'll figure out who's the best to answer his next 200 questions when he's AT THE TRACK and when he needs help the most.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  6. bsanorton

Thank you all, yes I did come in at 67 but read most of the comments, the reason is I am not comfortable starting on 3-year-old race slicks on my new to me SV650. I recently sold my FZR400 track/race bike that had R11's on it and I used tire warmers. I wanted some input on what I should consider to start with as a track day rider (maybe do a novice race). But I think Patman is right, I'm over thinking this right now in this stage and any really good track day tire would be good for me

Patman623 likes this.
  7. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

On that point, I have a pair of V3 SC3s but I go through 2 rears to 1 front. I am assuming a new V4 rear is not going to be different enough to matter paired with a V3 front, especially at my midpack pace in group 3 ("advanced") of 4.

8. bsanorton

So I ordered Dunlop Q5's after I couldn't get a Pirelli Supercorsa rear from Sportbike track gear. They recommended the Dunlop's as an alternative. Then of course I had to google reviews (like when peeps self -diagnosis their disease). Wasn't too happy with some of the 'fast wearing' videos. I will mount them and balance myself as I have done before and give them a try. I'll try Pirelli's next.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

10. bsanorton

Thank you for the resources. I will try them next time. I do like supporting STG since they have given me deep discounts on gear...oh i just looked and it would have cost me $50 less for the Pirelli Supercorsa TD/SC3. Maybe i will order them in a few weeks to not wait and have spares ready to go

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

With all due respect when you're at the racetrack on Sunday with your new tires calling a toll free number to ask questions isn't very viable.

12. bsanorton

Are you telling me I should just buy at a track and have them mounted there? I'm doing a few track days before considering entering in a wera novice race. If I can get another set of rims I'd do that. I'd like to be prepared at home before hitting the tra ck.

13. lopitt85

Having a spare set of wheels that you can drop of at the trackside vendor when you purchase their tires is an excellent way to go. Provides ready to go spares, supports the vendor, gets you trackside tire assistance. Win, win, win!

The other thing I like about using the Metzeler TDs is that last I checked, he's a site sponsor here. I've got a few riding buddies that I've turned on to Metzelers and they all like them. A couple even mix them with a Metzler rear and a Pirelli front. One was a die Hard Michelin guy...he only uses Metzeler now, even his street bike.

14. Michael Bassani

Michael Bassani Well-Known Member

Personally, I would start looking for a second set of wheels sooner than later.

Even if they only exist to have a set of rain tires mounted to them and ready to go.

I start the first race weekend of every year by bringing both of my sets of wheels to the tire vendor to get a dry set, and wet set put on.

More than likely I won't ever use the wets, but my tire guy 1. loves me for buying a set of wets ahead of time and supporting him like we expect him to support us, 2. I don't have to beg and plead with him if it starts down pouring 45 minutes before a race to mount new wets before everyone else.

Sure it's a bit pricier, but if I wanted an economical hobby I pick up bowling instead.

15. Michael Bassani

Michael Bassani Well-Known Member

As an aside, I don't have an enclosed trailer or tire tree. I have a truck with a rooftop tent, and a single rail trailer for my bike.

I bought these covers off of Amazon, and they are surprisingly good for storing wheels in a way that will protect the tires from UV, and the rotors from scratches.

I basically keep my wets in here all year and I'm a huge fan, especially for the price.

https://a.co/d/1VhMlHb

16. bsanorton

Thanks guys! Good stuff. I bought a rear rim spare looking for a front on my 2006 SV that has the gsxr600 front end swap. So I just need to find a good 2006-2007 gsxr front rim

17. bsanorton

I have a spare rear rim. Looking for a 2006-2007 gsxr600/700 front rim to use on my converted 2006 SV650. Maybe I'll put the dunlops on my Triumph Street triple and buy the Pirelli's to not piss of Pneumatico lol!

Attached Files:

18. TommyD

TommyD Well-Known Member

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

You must agree you have been asking a ton of questions, right? I have been giving advice to help you go in the correct direction, and my point is this.
    You mentioned supporting STG because how they have helped you correct? Once you get to the track for either TDs or racing, you will have a bunch more questions and especially about tires. So, shouldn’t you buy tires from the peeps at the track that are there supporting their customers and answering their concerns? And I really don’t really care what brand you choose but I care about the vendors AT the track because of their HUGE commitment to riders that everyone seems to take for granted.

I worked my arse off to have the best vendors at tracks ACROSS North America to take care of riders just like you! In closing I sure hope you understand my points here and I would suggest that you re-read the first post of this thread, as it covers a lot. I can't explain it any differently, ciao a tutti!

backho and Michael Bassani like this.
  20. lopitt85

If that's the wheel you have you van find many front wheels that drop right in.

The following FRONT wheels are all interchangeable:

06-07 gsxr 600/750
    08-10 gsxr 600/750
    05-08 gsxr 1000

Of the three, the rotor bolt pattern is different on the 08-10 gsxr 600/750. It has 6, the others have 5. But as long as you get the rotors made for that wheel it will slot onto any of the bikes no problem. Same axles and spacers fit them all.