1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand new helmet for tech question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by giggity, Feb 5, 2024.

1. giggity

giggity I don’t know bout that

Where are you guys getting your new helmets to meet the 3-year tech rule? I can only find helmets that are expired or less than a year left. Thanks.

2. blueblurr

blueblurr Well-Known Member

Umm from stores? Don’t buy anything that’s on clearance. Also I can get you hooked up with my parts department for most any helmet.

RichMangus likes this.
  3. giggity

all my local stores have like 3 year old helmets.

4. BOMDIVR

BOMDIVR Seeking youth and speed....both are elusive

Also rule is 5 years not 3.

TLR67 likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

lots of vendors with fresh gear... STG for instance.

RichMangus likes this.
  6. giggity

Yeah, that's where I bought my first 2 helmets, but they were both 3 years old out of the box.

7. giggity

yep, my bad

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

odd... did you ask why so stale?

9. mglax13

mglax13 Well-Known Member

That's odd that they're so old when they get to you, I just bought a clearance/closeout Scorpion EXO-R1 and even that was only 6 months old. If you're concerned about the date, it's worth an email to the store you're ordering from just to mention it's for racing and if it's not too much bother, to check the date for you. I find that most understand and accommodate that

TurboBlew and galloway840 like this.
  10. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Yep, and if they won't, don't buy from them. Riders Discount and STG both have always checked for me.

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I love STG but when I called last year to ask the date on the helmet that I wanted to buy I was told they did not have that information. I want to see the label inside the helmet before I spend that kind of coin.

418 likes this.
  12. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Riders Discount was good about running back to the warehouse and checking for you, but STG not so much. So when I was in the market for a new Arai last Summer, I decided to buy from a brick and mortar so I could try it on, and also check the build date. But all of my local places had very limited inventory.

I discovered a place called the Service Pavillon in PA, which was supposed to have a large inventory. It’s a couple of hours away, but figured the drive would be worth it to have a large selection to choose from.

Figured I’d find the one I like on the shelf, try it on, pay, and be on my way. Well I was very wrong about that!

They spent almost an hour with me, measuring my head, and picking out the models which would fit. The selection was awesome, with a ton of helmets to chokse from, and I ultimately chose a Corsair X in a beautiful Nicky Hayden graphic.

They then showed me all the features of the helmet and how to operate them, and how to take everything apart and put it back together. A complete tutorial!

I was blown away by the entire experience and I plan to buy all my future helmets from them.

13. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

I call that the "Robert experience". TONS of wisdom and knowledge for sure. Especially with Arai.

STG are great folks and will 100% help when they can. I've stated before, if they couldn't get a build date for a particular helmet, they didn't have it there at their facility. If said helmet was in stock at STG, they would get you a build date, it's their nature.
    Yeah, we know they stock alot of stuff, but also they ( and every other dealer ) drop ship many of their parts as well. Drop ship is not a bad thing at all and is the norm these days, just in these particular cases, if a dealer that doesn't have helmet X in stock, they can't call the distributor and have them check build dates on helmets several times per week. The folks at Tucker, Helmet House, Sullivans, whoever, would simply laugh and said "sorry but no" when I would call asking for a build date.

Shenanigans likes this.
  14. TommyD

TommyD Well-Known Member

j&d walters would go in the back and check dates on arai's for me but now they're gone.
    pu has arai now and since they're new to them I'm guessing they're all new stock.I know for sure nobody at pu is checking dates for me

Yama-saurus likes this.
  15. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I'm in ohio and I use the service pavillion for shield tear-offs. Great service and the only place I've found that carries tear off's that are easy to order.

16. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Buy a graphic that is new this year

17. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Agree that STG is a great retailer, I buy most of my stuff from them. I support the companies that support racing.

I think drop shipping was the reason Max wasn’t able to check the date on helmet I wanted to buy last year. And I’m sure they would have taken it back as a return if the build date wasn’t satisfactory. I just didn’t want to go through all of that hassle, and decided to buy locally.

18. 418

418 Expert #59

Speedaddicts have checked the date for me in years past.

I explained the situation and they were accommodating.

19. corvette95

corvette95 Well-Known Member

I just bought a Shoei X-14 that has he ECE22.05 sticker on it and no other sticker I can find anything under the padding. Will the ECE22.05 stamp get me through tech? It is literally 6 weeks old. Bought brand new via internet.

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Look harder, it should have a built on date, and wera will need to see it