1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flat track/street tracker question

Discussion in 'General' started by Admotowork, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Admotowork

Admotowork Well-Known Member

Long story short is that I've always wanted a sportster street tracker. I managed to pick up a decent 2008 model 1200 sporty for pretty cheap that I'm looking to switch over to a street tracker and I had a few questions as I'm trying to do this little project on the cheap (the TLR takes enough time:()

From what limited research I've done so far it seems that I can put the front OE rim on the back with a pretty cheap conversion kit to achieve the 19" front and rear wheel size of a tracker. With that set up what kind of tire size would I be able to run?
    As far as the chassis goes, I was thinking just a set of 15" shocks out back and shorten the forks by 2".
    Am I missing anything? Any and all advise is appreciated as this is my first Harley and I'm also pretty new when it comes to flatrack setup/geometry.

Thanks in advance guys :beer:

2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Well if you are just going for the look, then sure, swap rims front to back. The front is probably a little too narrow for a competitive bike, but again, you're on the street. It's funny, I raced the 883 series professionally back in the day, and these "new" hooligan builds are pretty badass. Last year I rode a guys Harley at Winter Throwdown and I sweat it was better than my old racebike in every way, and it was way lower in fact I had to be careful not to "high center" it and wreck.

But for a streetbike you're fine, although Storz performance (I dont know if they are still around) had complete kits and all sorts of conversion parts. I actually still have a flat track rear wheel I would sell you. Its laced to a nice Sun rim. Id take $500 for the complete 19 inch wheel setup.

3. Admotowork

Thanks for the reply.
    Am I heading in the right direction as far as shock and fork length?

4. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

5. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

That’s kinda a loaded question in a way.

I assume you’re not racing it seeing as your post says street tracker.

this is what I would do, make it cool looking but COMFORTABLE. Get your front end all ready and assembled, get a jack, jack the bike up till the bike is fairly level and remove stock shocks. Install the rear you’re using, then jack it to where YOU like the riding position, and measure eye to eye on the shock mounts.

I just can’t remember the length I ran, this was 2002-2005 ish.

I have seen them tall and fairly low, so there is no “proper” street tracker setup.

just don’t go tooo long or those stock swing arms, especially on the road will “waller” due to flex. The taller and more ride height you have, the more it’ll wander in the corners at speed.

7. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Is it strictly a street tracker or is it actually going to make it onto the dirt? I built an 07' 10-12 years ago and went with 18" rims as it was strictly a street bike and tire selection is far better that way. 04 and up Sportys are more difficult for tail section fitment as the frame is significantly different from 03 and back. Have to get creative with it to keep a good body line if aesthetics are important to you. This ended up being probably my most fun street bike I've ever owned. Good cams, worked heads and way more compression, made great power. Fun ride, one I shouldn't have sold...

IMG_20240207_072459.jpg

JBall and Robby-Bobby like this.
  8. PMooney Jr.

Oh, 14.5" shocks on mine. 15 starts to get into chain/belt clearance issues with the frame.

9. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Thank you, I was struggling to come up with their name. When I worked at a Harley dealer in KC, back in the early 90s, a customer had us build a Storz part catalog cafe sporty. It actually looked pretty cool.
    https://www.storzperf.com/
    According to Google reviews they were still active a month ago.

10. PMooney Jr.

I had the front end near stock height with race tech internals, I might have had the stanchions pulled up through the trees 15mm at most so slightly lower ride height but very close to stock. Bear in mind the 04 and up bike is rubber mounted and a complete tank compared to an 03 and back. If there's any performance in mind you'll want the old solid mount bike. Mine was a street bike so I wanted the rubber mount for an actual daily. Also, Accel paid for half my bike since I used it for Development work and they needed an injected bike. Twist my arm lol.

11. fatallightning

fatallightning ghost of the touge

Which model 1200? They can have significantly different fork lengths based on models. However you can adjust that just by changing damper rods. Took my 883 low out 2 inches with a rod change. I have 13.5" shocks on mine, and the belt is very close to the rear brake rod linkage at that height. Mine has an 883 rear sprocket which may be bigger and bring the belt closer. Saddlemen makes a specific tail/seat combo thats bolt on. You do have to cut the fender struts and run a 2.1 peanut tank though.

12. PMooney Jr.

Good call, my 07 started as a Roadster so the longest shocks etc. I don't know but have to imagine all stanchions are the same just with different internals between models? Hopefully the racetech and similar suspension sites have one part number for drop in carts.

13. Admotowork

Thanks for all the responses guys.
    It will probably never actually see the dirt, I just always wanted the street tracker look with a big ol' murican v twin.

Got the seat/ tail section on order already!
    Figured I'd go with Robby-bobbys suggestion and just get it looking the way I want and just rock it as is.

@PMooney Jr. That's exactly the look I'm going for

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

XR1200 is $5-6k or less if you look around. I've always thought it was a sweet looking bike.

[​IMG]

pjdoran and gapman789 like this.
  15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Except for that god awful exhaust. Those cans got to go