1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Master Cylinder Bleeder: Galespeed 17mm VRC

Discussion in 'General' started by BrentA, May 27, 2023.

1. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Another comment here for years of Stahlbus bleeders use. The fit, finish, and ease of use are second to none.
    The function of the bleeders allow for convenient flushing of your fluid.
    They're excellent.

COOKE likes this.
  2. COOKE

COOKE Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
    Its possible he didn't have experience with the stahlbus bleeders, seems everyone who uses them here has had good experience, which is great to hear.

In regard to proper bleeding technique with standard bleeders he basically said the hose needs to be long enough to travel upwards above the caliper so that the fluid starts to fill up the tube in an vertical direction before turning down into the catch bottle. This fluid build up in the tube prevents excess air from getting sucked back into the caliper when you release the lever, if the fluid travels downward right away into the bottle and only air is in the tube, air will get sucked in when releasing the lever.

3. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

A little brake grease on the threads of the bleeder will keep air from trying to come back through the threads, as well.

My thing with the speed bleeders is....you have to put a tube and catch bottle on there anyway, so what's really the point?

4. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

The point is you don’t have to manually open and close the bleeder every lever pull. And the check valve prevents back feeding air by design.

5. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

Right, but you can accomplish the same thing with Tygon tubing creating the air lock. To be fair, I always open and close the bleeder even when I create the air lock with the Tygon.

I think they might be good for cars, but on a bike, you can open and close the bleeders all the way around with your hand on the lever. Plus they look all goofy sticking a mile out of the caliper/master :)

gapman789 and backbone like this.
  6. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Without the check valve, your method would still require closing the bleeder before releasing the brake lever. Otherwise, the fluid just goes backwards and forwards. And I think the mile long bleeders look neato. :D

Dave675 likes this.
  7. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Never mind.

8. COOKE

COOKE Member

Ended up getting the "power" standard size lever for the VRD master from We Bike. It is infact the same lever as the VRC/VRE and it only took 5 days to arrive from Japan which I think is pretty fast.

For anyone wondering how this lever compares in size and shape to the "straight" shorty lever which came standard on the master from Graves, there's a link to an image below where I compare them. I could not find any comparison images of this sort anywhere when I was doing research so thought I would share it.

Hopefully this helps someone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ztQsq_-e_EDVplZPl0uGL9dtm9hZSeof/view?usp=sharing

BrentA likes this.
  9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Air wants to go up.

10. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I've never tried it that way, probably out of stubbornness because "that's how I've always done it" :crackup:. I have heard that it's the best method in a dry system

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I tried speed bleeders many moons ago, and didn't like them on the bikes either.

12. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Try a Stahlbus bleeder when you get a chance.