1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone had a total knee replacement?

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Feb 2, 2024.

1. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

The wife is wearing out, but I'd rather not trade her in. She's going to be scheduled for a total knee replacement (hopefully next month). Six week recovery with PT.
    Does anyone with experience have any advice to offer?

2. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

The better shape you go into the surgery the better the outcome. Because my knee was so bad for so long, I needed to learn how to walk correctly again. Fortunately, I found a physical therapist who could do that rather than the mill of new grads the surgeon sent me to.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Follow your doctors orders exactly. My FIL had one 18 years ago, and it went great for him. He had a nurse stop by his house every day with an exercise machine that worked his knee. He said it was the best medical procedure he ever had done.

My brother had one 2 years ago. He didn't follow all of his doctor's advice, and started working 3 weeks too early. His knee locked up from overwhelming scar tissue. They had to put him asleep, and force his knee to break the scar tissue away. He said that produced much more pain than the original procedure.

I qualify for a replacement, but I have been putting it off for a couple years. I've had multiple shots but they don't last very long. I think I need to call the doctor soon.

4. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

^ This! Ask the Dr's office for an order for PT pre-surgery, stretch and do anything and everything she can beforehand.

I've had both done in the past 3 years and 6 weeks. Recovering from revision on the first one 6 weeks ago. My RN daughter works in the OR doing these routinely. She suggests avoiding surgical centers, and getting it done in a hospital, as the surgery centers are more profit focused. She also would suggest using a surgeon who performs it robotically. Try to find a medical professional who knows who the best surgeons are in your area. Locally, there is one who does the most, but is at the bottom of her list.

What @Razr describes happened to his brother is extremely common, if the PT work isn't performed to achieve full-range of motion and strengthen afterwards. My daughter says the 'crunching' noise that occurs when they force the knee to break that scar-tissue is horrible to listen to.

I can offer more details, if interested.

5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

you’re in TX now… drive to Mexico and get real stem cell treatments…. Seriously…

6. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Six weeks? There’s lies, damn lies, and things orthopedic surgeons tell you, like recovery in 6 weeks. Definitely do it. Definitely do all the PT and follow directions to a T. Push the range of motion. But don’t expect recovery in 6 weeks. 6 months, maybe. That’s not a reason not to do it, just reality.

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Everything is six weeks with doctors.
    My shoulder surgery was a six week recovery according to the surgeon.
    Well, that was the six weeks in the sling. Then six weeks of gradually increasing PT and weight. Then another six weeks, then another.
    A year later I was back to full strength and almost full range of motion.
    Absolutely worth it, but your recovery isn't going to be just six weeks. That's just the surgeon's six weeks and he hands you off.

8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

My aunt had both of her knees fully replaced about 5 years ago and has said multiple times it has been a godsend.......she was in her early 60's and had been dealing with paid for a couple decades already.

As all of said here, following PT recommendations and not trying to get ahead of it with too much activity is key.......

9. jtc89

jtc89 Member

Ask the dr which PT they would recommend, they know the ones that get the best results. Get the continuous motion machine to take home with you along with the computerized ice water machine. Use them as directed. PT,PT,PT. Yes you can recover in 6 weeks, I did with both of mine. However, you aren't "healed" yet. That takes 9-10 months. When the scar is white you're healed.

You must push the post surgery use of the leg. Try to NOT limp or favor it. 10 years later mine are still great.

Tell her good luck.

10. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I’m 16 months post op on complete right knee. I’d been put it off for years. The technology and technique has changed a lot over the last three years alone.

1. Find the right doctor, I’m in the St Petersburg Fl area, mine carries a large load of the professional athletes knee repairs in this area in addition to knee replacements for patients like me.

2. Barring other health issues your surgery can be done as an outpatient. You’ll have at home rehab 2-3 times per week for the first two weeks before transitioning to a rehab center.

3. As previously touched on, the rehab and the effort and dedication is everything.

4. 6 weeks! that’s pure fantasy. I was told I was ahead of every metric and after 6 weeks I had committed to an additional 2 weeks of outpatient rehabilitation and after that was done and I returned to work I continued to work the knee to improve function and flexibility.

My question to my surgeon was when will it feel normal or nearly so. He said it varies but it can be 7 months to two years.

I’d say the in the last couple of months I’m getting nearly there. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

11. khill

khill Well-Known Member

I had TKR 2.5 months ago... I walked in at 11am and walked out at 5pm with my new knee. I started PT at 6 days and finished my official PT at 6 week, but have my own PT program I follow every day and rode my pedal bike 500 miles in January. Some general thoughts:

1) Train before the surgery, even if it is your opposite leg. Leg lifts, ankle lifts, step ups, etc. Starting them before the surgery is a big one.
    2) Sleep was the biggest obstacle, by far. The first 2 weeks are hell, no matter what drugs you are on. (I was off the prescription drugs after 3 days, they made me really sick)
    3) Ice machine.
    4) Compression pants that work from the knee down to keep blood moving. I had almost no bruising because of it.
    5) Your quad will be the worst for the first 2 weeks from the torniquet.
    6) Getting in and out of bed was the worst pain. (core strength and leg lifts help here)
    7) Do the PT even though you think it isn't working, it is.
    8) Take a lot of naps, it's OK
    9) Walk very little the first 2 weeks, as in, 500 steps a day. Instead, focus on the PT.

Edit - It took about 6 weeks before I was able to not think about it every second and it sucked. Now at 2.5 months, I am glad I got it done and hopefully the improvement continues. It still swells if I stand too much, but it is still quite early on. Good luck!

Ken

IMG_9904.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    BrentA likes this.
  12. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Staples, ugg.
    Like I said, shop a Doctor who is cutting edge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BrentA and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Not to discourage anyone but have any of you looked into regeneration through stem cells?

If anyone has please share your knowledge…

Cellular Performance Institute seems to be the leader in regenerative medicine especially for worn out joints… they’re now regrowing cartilage in your own joint which was impossible until recently… I was told I needed a knee replacement in 1997… I refused made a full recovery and raced 14 more pro seasons.

Now I’m looking for some improvements again and will be trying the best stem cell treatment I can find… even out of pocket it’s not horrible…

I’ve had lots of hardware and 9 ortho surgeries and my body hates foreign materials… that’s what turned me against any implants…. I’ve always had reaction issues with everything from screws to stitches to wires

I also lived in the orthopedic capital of the world and know that industry and it’s nightmares and Dr bribes and materials issues and don’t want any part of it… people go to India and get both knees done better for half of one’s cost here…

For all you guys that have them good luck and hope you’re good with no issues until you leave this world :)

14. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Tried it on my on dime and it doesn't help when you are bone on bone and missing ligaments.

Ken

27 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

thanks for your input… they’re acting like the bone on bone is repairable with stem cells now… can’t reattach ligaments of course…

16. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

I am a week out of knee replacement. What a week, collapsed on day one, after a week with little to no sleep I realized I was having reactions to the opioids. How do the druggies live through this crap. Two points of advise if your wife does have knee replacement, go on vacation and hire someone with a lot of patience to take care of her. I know I do not have the patience that my wife has shown me. My other advise is to look into Stem cell therapy with a very secptical eye. A couple of years ago my step daughter tried it and it was total BS.

17. kyle carver

Things that your wife will probably want. A very comfortable recliner. Lots of books, TV can get old fast . Assorted pillows, caugh drops. The one bright spot, she will get to know the TSA agents at the airport, I had a hip replaced a while back and have met some very friendly agents during those serches. Good luck to both of you

18. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

You made my wife LOL. I owe you a beer.

19. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Ice, ice, and more ice!! A must to reduce inflammation, resultant swelling, and pain. Keep it elevated as much as you can. I use extra pillows on my recliner.

I have 6 or 7 Walgreens clay ice packs I bought 11 and 12 years ago that I still use daily, 6 weeks out of my knee revision (replaced 3 years to the week, prior.) Bought them when I had my hips replaced, and along with the hospital issued ones, they have helped me to take almost no opioids this surgery. I do own a cooler ice water pump set-up, but prefer the convenience of the clay ice packs.

Ask your Dr. for an order to get fitted for good compression stockings, and wear them regularly. Or as @khill suggested, compression pants, though I have not tried them myself.

I have cut 5mg oxy. in half to take after a vigorous PT day to help with sleep.

I forgot to mention something I learned before my hip surgery, from my general ortho. Dr, who needed his knee replaced. Ask your Dr. to order you sleeping pills to help get sleep at night. I have not used them constantly, but do regularly when dealing with pain from specific body parts. They are a god-send for getting good sleep. I take a generic form of Restoril, which comes in 7.5, 15, and 30 mg doses. With 2 different knee surgeries in 3 months, I've been taking the 30's routinely.

I was walking short distances with a cane from day 2. I've been doing 1 - 2 mile walks regularly. Walked 3.75 miles at 5 1/2 weeks. I'm allowed to ride my recumbent trike now, as well as my bicycle on my Wahoo trainer. Dr. ordered me a pedal therapy machine before surgery and I've been using it since a day after surgery.

Fortunate that my surgeon this time is an avid bicyclist.

Razr likes this.
  20. kyle carver

To the original poster, one important thing you should do is see how your wife reacts to opioids. Apparently about 2% of people get jacked up by them rather than being calmed. Give her a Benadryl and see what her reaction is. Good luck