1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small toy hauler vs regular enclosed trailer.

Discussion in 'General' started by drewthere, Jan 25, 2024.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

There are pros and cons to every setup. I started racing out of the bed of a $3000 pickup so my first 6x12 enclosed was a dream come true. Felt like a full factory effort in a 30’ toy hauler for a few years, and when I got a class A and dedicated trailer I was in heaven. It’s hard to argue with comfort, and being able to cook decent meals is really nice.

Now I just dabble here and there, so a rusty 2004 sprinter van with a cot/bench combo bolted to the wall does just fine. I’m learning to enjoy the simplicity. It’s nimble and fuel efficient, tracks have showers, and gallon jugs work fine for a bathroom.

2. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

The weird thing about having a toy hauler is that you're never actually required to use it as such. Always told myself if I got tired of dumping the tanks, I'd just treat my Work n Play like an enclosed trailer and not just shower/shit in it. That I would just simply load the bike up and go and pee in a gatorade bottle like I would with an enclosed trailer. I wouldn't use the sink to wash my hands, negating the need to fill the fresh water, empty the gray, etc etc.

There's never been a weekend where I haven't used the toy hauler perks :crackup:

Lawdog78 likes this.
  3. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I’ve gone from open trailer to enclosed trailer to toy hauler, and I’ll probably quit going to the track if I ever have to sell the toy hauler. Yes, there is some extra work involved but totally worth it for me.

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

The 46' trailer (22' full living 3 beds, 24' garage) we had was awesome when it was set up at the track. After 11 years of only eating at truck stops, I sold it to build the current trailer. I can go anywhere now.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  5. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

How cold can a toy hauler get compared to a small enclosed trailer with an AC? I ordered a 7x12 with insulation and the 15k BTU AC they use on larger trailers. I’m aiming for an icebox on wheels after getting heat sick at NC Bike last summer and being real close to needing medical help.

6. stickboy274

I have had both roof mount 15K and 13.5k. The 15k didn't get as cold. The power grid couldn't supply enough to keep it happy. The 13.5 would run us out. Both on the same trailer.

BrentA likes this.
  7. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Interesting.
    What make AC units were you using? I'm still thinking my Furrion is just not that great, or something isn't right with it.

8. stickboy274

I think they were both carrier. The worst part about the 15k is, once it started to drag the voltage down and brown out, it would drive the current load up and trip breakers. Once everything was hot, the AC and breakers would have to fully cool to start working again. That usually happened at the hottest part of the day.

Also, insulate the trailer good. Allow an air gap so that the insulation can work without surface to surface heat transfer. I paint the roof with an elastomeric paint to help prevent the heat from getting in. It also helps seal the roof.

BrentA and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  9. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

When I bought my 6x12 a couple years ago I immediately tore it up and fully insulated it......every square inch.

Installed one of those portable a/c units (its only 7K BTU), but I built a custom plenum to make it much more efficient, and I can comfortably get it to the mid-60's in there if I wanted and kept the door shut, but it's happiest at 70. Tested the concept at Roebling last year when temps were approaching 90F and humid, and it was perfectly cold all day. Best part is it only draws about 10-11 amps at full power, so can plug into any 110 outlet.

Before anybody says anything, fuel jugs were only there temporarily.....holder has since been mounted to trailer tongue.

That 15K BTU will let you hang slabs of meat in it if you want......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

YamahaRick and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  10. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

"Hey man, your fancy blowing japanese toilet ain't flushing right... might wanna check it out. My session is starting."

11. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

[​IMG]

BrentA likes this.