1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1974 Yamaha TZ750 For Sale - Unrestored, Mint Original

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Yamanatic, Jan 25, 2024.

1. Yamanatic

Yamanatic Active Member

Super Dave likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I would’ve thought those bikes were worth way more than the estimates.

3. Yamanatic

Yamanatic Active Member

Yea, if they hang an estimate value on, it is a fairly uneducated guess based mostly on previous sale. They did not ask me what I thought or what evidence I have when setting price ranges, they just stabbed in those numbers. A NOM and modified twins-hock sold last year for $44K:
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/545257/1974-yamaha-tz700a/?aa_id=359983-0

It was a resale since it sold in 2021 for $60K:
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/435695/1974-yamaha-tz750/?aa_id=274177-0

I'm sure they based their numbers on that one. I saw that bike in person and it was a well raced and modified machine with replacement cases. Iyt's an auction folks, and depends more on crowd than bike. Sellers set the 'price' with their reserve, or gamble (well it IS Vegas) like I do with no-reserve.

We will see tomorrow!

Warren

ducnut likes this.
  4. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

Beautiful legendary machine! GLWA

5. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

Mecum is a joke when it comes to estimates, pre-auction info, disclosures, etc. In my mind they are a venue of last resort, as better bikes can be found elsewhere, usually cheaper and without shenanigans.

All that being said, I’m not surprised to see a general softening in values for most bikes from the 1950s-1980s. The crème de la crème will always have value. But the pool of collectors with disposable income and some interest/ nostalgia in buying old bikes is mostly now collecting bikes from the 1990s-2000s. Japanese and Italian exotic super bikes is where it’s at these days. Also, collective knowledge and collector interest in 2strokes in general is fading away (outside of certain niches like 125s and 250s from the 1990s and motocross bikes and drag race ATVs). Big vintage 2stroke race bikes like TZ750 were never easy to ride or keep running, so they are of little use to most people who want to actually play with their toys versus just looking at them.

ducnut likes this.
  6. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Mmmm! Tasty! Excellent provenance! Forget the naysayers, it will take care of itself

camp170 likes this.
  7. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 1

8. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

That is very cool. A buddy of mine has Lang Hindle's old TZ750.

9. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

yo seriously wtf even is this?

upload_2024-1-26_20-6-23.jpeg

straight retarded i'm sorry.

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That is insane!

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Hmm sorry but isn't that a TZ 700? Asking for a friend.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

A clean RZ350 for 22 something? Wow

13. freedomgli

Does $22k result include the buyer’s premium or is that tacked on top of the $22k winning bid? Unless someone was in the room to independently verify, it’s hard to say exactly what this means, as Mecum results are generally not trustworthy due to their shenanigans. However, a similar RZ350 Kenny Roberts edition sold last summer for $21,400 at Iconic.

https://iconicmotorbikeauctions.com/auction/1985-yamaha-rz350-3/

14. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

no idea but either way its like, triple what it should be haha. man...

15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

The specifications say it's got a 694cc engine, so it is.

16. freedomgli

Inflation can be a real bitch depending on what side of the coin you’re on. The crème de la crème are always worth more. The sad thing is that bike will most likely continue to be a museum piece that’s rarely used as a motorcycle. The premium paid would quickly be eroded with additional mileage.

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

As I remember it the TZ350 was born first and Yamaha used those cylinders, heads, and pistons for the TZ700. Then a year or so later Yamaha introduced the TZ750 and those that cool weird high mounted pipe

18. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Anybody know what this went for? The TZ700/750 that is. I can't see the price on the mecum website.

19. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

That's correct.

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie