1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small toy hauler vs regular enclosed trailer.

Discussion in 'General' started by drewthere, Jan 25, 2024.

1. drewthere

drewthere Well-Known Member

About 5 years ago i had a 27 ft toy hauler. After a while i didnt like driving it and i think it was the size that bothered me. I currently have a van but use it for other things and dont like packing and unpacking. Could you help me think about pros and cons for getting a trailer 6x12 and something like a wolf pup thats about 18 ft?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  2. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Toyhauler = private bathroom

3. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Toyhauler = space for toys, with sleeping bed access, without unloading, or moving a bunch of crap. Ski

5axis and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Don't most of the smaller toyhaulers like he's talking about require some unloading to get to beds?

Banditracer and BrentA like this.
  5. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Biggest reason I went for a toyhauler... but got carried away and bought a 34' o_O

Some yes, that have the beds in the back but many have it in the front,if not mistaken, like the wolfpup. Only reason I didn't go with those ones, is that the entrance door is on back side and usually you'll have all your bikes there.
    You can do all sorts of "Cirque Du Soleil" shit to get up and over the bikes and gear to get to your bed :D:p

JBall likes this.
  6. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

On my toyhauler, you could drop the overhead bed while the bikes were inside if you were careful laying out equipment. I had a "small" weekend warrior (FB1900). The other thing, compared to small covered bike trailers, it wasn't small at all (to me). If you are used to bigger stuff, might not be a problem.

I liked having a bathroom, microwave and heat/ac, not to mention a real bed. Only other downside to a TH is that you have more items on your list for "getting ready" and "unpacking". Managing black/gray/drinking water and so forth. Not problematic but adds to the list for people who work during the week.

7. drewthere

I understand all of that. Im just wondering if there will be a big difference in driving feel while driving a 6x12 single axle and a small toy hauler. And or should i just keep it simple?

8. drewthere

Exactly. The dumping black water etc... i already have the means from my old toy hauler but wondering if i will still feel the same way.

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Member

I had a toyhauler but ended up selling for this setup, 26' RV and 18' trailer... Just liked the trailer space and RV space being separate for comfort and load carrying... And if I had to choose again, I would go with a bigger trailer and just stay in hotels.... can stay in a lot of hotels for what I have spent on RVs, toyhaulers and trailers over the years...

Attached Files:

03RumbleBee likes this.
  10. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

As far as towing I personally would not equate the two but it's probably not too much different. I had the wolf pup type toyhauler and towed it with no problems with a 1/2 ton without feeling the need for a w/d hitch. Tongue weight was around 575 if I remember right. Most of those are 7 feet wide so I would expect you will catch a bit more wind than a 6x12 enclosed trailer, plus the toyhauler is likely a bit taller. Mine was 10'6 with the a/c on top. Ymmv

11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

OP, we did pretty much the same. Got rid of truck/camper and currently have a Transit van pulling a 7x14 trailer. Drives like a dream so we make it work but definitely miss the bathroom. Don't miss dumping tanks on the way home Sunday evening though.

I was thinking Catherine Zeta-Jones in whatever movie that was.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  12. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

Wasn't it "Entrapment" with Sean Connery ?

t11ravis likes this.
  13. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Probably depends on your tow vehicle more than anything. But, you would see a gas mileage difference for sure. The other thing to consider about the toyhauler is that it gives you the added benefit of having an RV for other uses. Going to an event as a spectator where hotels are exorbitant/not available, camping near the beach, etc.

I got rid of mine simply because I didn't have the time to utilize it enough to keep it. But, I liked it when I had it. I went to Jennings mostly, and no real easy hotel option there.

14. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

A 6x12 with a bike or 2 on it weighs basically nothing, and has almost no wind resistance.
    I found the shortest toy hauler I could, a 16' Impact, dual axle. It scaled at 4800# full of water and everything, and is still a 12' tall brick. Tows behind a v-6 4-Runner just fine if your not in a hurry up a hill.

Since the other half of my race team is.... my other half:cool: it's 1000% worth it. Yes, the bikes have to come out to use the bed, but the light weight, storage, parking, driving etc, is all better with the smaller size.

Y'know, its all in how you use it...;)

15. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Other than a converted 6x12 trailer being cheaper, I can't think of an advantage over a real 18' toy hauler. I love my toy hauler so much, I honestly don't know whether I would continue in this sport if I couldn't have one.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

IMHO only true benefit of a toy hauler is the obvious amenities......restroom/kitchen/sleeping etc.

If you like to travel light (and don't have kids/wife) to bring along and don't need to be pampered, there are some easy way to build out a small box trailer to make you comfortable at the track.

I owned a 8.5x20 toy hauler for about 7 years, but once the kids got older and we weren't using it as much for things away from the track like camping and recreation, I decided to let it go. Just too much for me for a couple days at the track. I bout a small trailer, insulated it, installed a/c and some basic outlets, and now I can just about go anywhere that has bathroom facilities and be perfectly comfortable.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

6x12 you can do with one person but roll the bike(s) and generator out, then set up the cot to sleep. Make sure you don't completely fill the fuel cans or the bike or you get to spend time airing out the trailer too. If I was doing it from scratch East Coast with toll roads and bad traffic, I would get a Sprinter camper with hitch carrier for the bike. Otherwise, a trailer with A/C and Happijac bed setup and don't mess with the plumbing. Will likely need a at least a 12x7 for best results on that. As you get older and need a bathroom once or twice in the middle of the night, that is the time for a toy hauler.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Step up to a 16'-20' enclosed and just convert it into a simple toy hauler.

Murcielago311 and lopitt85 like this.
  19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

The front of our 24' that I do tires out of has a loft bed, storage under the bed, tv, fridge, microwave, ice maker, water heater, 3x3 shower, mini split with heat/ac. A smaller version of that could work for most anyone. Cheap to build, very durable.

20. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

That's what I did. The thing with a enclosed trailer, they are always useful. When you are done with them, you can move them fairly quickly. A Toyhauler just adds so much more effort. Putnam is 30 min from my house. I just wanna toss the bikes and go.

You might try RVshare and rent one for a weekend to see what works best. Honestly, having the ability to test both, you'll get the answer for yourself