1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ted Cobb?

Discussion in 'General' started by CUDA, Jul 25, 2004.

1. JClay

JClay Gone Sailing...

I've seen dyno sheets from a YZ450 @ 61hp and a CRF450 @ 64hp. I'm lucky if I'm at 50hp with my 426. It takes a lot of work to get over the 60 hp mark.

Due to his wind resistance I was able to draft him at Road Atlanta and stay close the entire race, but at CMP the torque his motard made left me for dead.

2. mtiberio

mtiberio Well-Known Member

more like 200 pounds less than an sv...

3. keg0900

keg0900 none ya

more like 300 pounds when my big ol but is on mine.

4. Chip

Chip Registered

Dude.....your bike is the coolest thing I saw in the paddock all weekend!!!!

I bet that bad boy is fun as hell!

5. JClay

JClay Gone Sailing...

Thank You! I had some problems..... a hole in my radiator and frontend chatter, but finally won one at CMP.

6. 450

Well, I'll say that it made enough hp to open eyes of some Factory backed motards on the AMA series. A lot of that had to do with Mike Smith's madd skillz. As you can see as far as how long is it's fuse...it hasn't blown up yet and to be honest we had no engine problems out of these bikes yet unlike the KTM's. It's much easier to work on then the Honda's. The suspension of course as you noticed was Ohlins forks/rear shock...that have a good amount of time into finding out what works. Trust me it's way harder to figure out a balance for true Motard then riding them at a all out roadrace course. They now have shocks that have ride height adjustment so I would like to have had that last year for sure...but it was still on paper and development. Then you have tires, tire pressures (don't ask I won't tell you), but tires has a lot to with getting around a true Motard track. Trying to set something up to absorb bumps/ruts, jumps, and then get grip on the pavement that has grip and then don't have grip...it's quite a long process that we never totally tamed. The tranny is bone stock! Ya just need to find the right gearing. As far as it goes for weight...I believe they were 220lbs stock! So your looking at almost 200lbs lighter then a SV

As Ted mentioned both races...the bike is forsale...and way under the money spent and the time spent on it. LOL those of you who have ever wanted to learn how to back a bike into a corner...start riding a Motard setup correctly...these bikes make it easy, they also give good feedback on what the tires are doing which will also help you when you get back on a big bike.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  7. keg0900

keg0900 none ya

Re: 450

so how much do they want for it its not on the website and there closed. also if I buy then will you tell secrets ??

8. $$$

Call tomorrow and ask for Drew...last I was told they were wanting $9k and that was already a reduced price! I'll tell you what was done to the bike if you were to buy it. As for setup answers wouldn't really do much good for roadrace circuits...they are all setup sheets for actual Motard courses. If I tell you what I know I no longer become valuable lol.

9. brian23

brian23 Well-Known Member

This is Tim Brewer. I'm just posting under Brian Hayes's screen name.I raced against Cobb in 99. I have to say he was kind of dangerous when he first started. BUT! So was the rest of us. I raced him at Road A that same year. We would come out of turn 7, and he would bust my ass down the back straight. By the time we got into turn 2 I was back in front of him. I would lead him all the way to turn 7. They impounded our bikes that day
    (the top 5). The more races he attended, the better he got. Regaurdless if he is cheating, cherrypicking, whatever....He can ride his ass off. You don't take a shitty rider, and put him on a bike that is illegal and the all of sudden hegives Tray Batey a run........
    Regardless ....... They dude can ride...........
    Don't hate on him because he can ride anything he puts his leg over. Because he can........

10. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

I don't hate him. He is the man.

11. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

:Poke:

:D

Hey Cu-tang...thanks for letting me borrow the ezup last weekend! :)

12. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

No problem. That blue thing flying in the wind was hurting my feelings. :)

13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Man, some of you guys are funny to read. No doubt Ted is a good rider, but my 20 year old RZ gave him some fits at Road A, and I'm old. :Poke: BTW, that race was the most fun I had in a long time. We raced close (touched 4 or 5 times) but clean.

14. JClay

JClay Gone Sailing...

Yeah, that was a good one. I thought for sure you guys were going to take each other out with me sitting in the cat birds seat. The two 125's in the middle of all of us didnt help.

15. jphforxray

jphforxray Well-Known Member

Ted Cobb

If you really want to have some fun, come to one of our races and watch Ted run Supermoto class on a "87 YZ 80 and run near the front. It's sick.
    Or watch him run GP85 class and lap the field in a 12 lap race.
    How do you think he stays sharp?
    John Halsey
    www.semra.org

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They helped the spectating end of things big time :D That was one hell of a race.

17. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I hear Ted has nitros and a turbo on that thing.

18. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I got a kick out of the one 125 rider who started to lean into me going into 1. It was either let the gas off and give up two positions or keep it pegged and use a little elbow to create some room. Of course I chose the latter. Wouldn't you??? ;)

BTW, Ted's motard was pulling 20+ bike lengths on me out of T7. I did have top end on him though and would pass him around T9. I knew I was in trouble when he would pass me back each lap out of 10b.

19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

That's where the traction control was really helping him out.

20. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

That and I think my RZ has 10 ft-lbs of torque. :D