1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for bike/gear storage in South Florida

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 18, 2024.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on pests, had an 11# prized skin mount largemouth bass I caught when I was 12. Had it in my storage unit in St. Thomas and rats ate 90% of if

ducnut likes this.
  2. drewthere

drewthere Well-Known Member

What kind of van is it and does everything fit inside?
    How often do you need to access it?
    Any place down here for storage is over $200.
    Im 30 min from the airport/ 30 min from homestead track.

ducnut likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

We? You royalty or whooped again?

motion, ducnut and BC like this.
  4. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

no road tracks in S FL except Homestead if you like walls. then its Daytona-more walls and only twice a year. then Jennings at the Fl Ga line about 5hrs from Miami W. Palm
    Roebling another 1,5hrs from the line. and Road A about 4.5hrs from the line.

motion and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  5. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Is Palm Beach Int'l still operating? But yeah, I was wondering why someone would want to setup shop in S. Florida if trackdays was their goal. Southern CA seems more logical, or N. Florida if FL is a must.

R Acree likes this.
  6. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Palm Beach Intl ala Moroso has been shut down for a few years now. I don’t think they even do drags there any more.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Have you thought about Gulf Shores AL area?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. Spang308

Something up on the panhandle would give him relatively easy trips to Barber, Jennings, Road Atlanta, Roebling, Daytona, and maybe even the Corvette track.

5axis and ducnut like this.
  9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Harsh

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Proximity of ATL, Chattanooga, and points in between would be even better, with Appalachia so close by.

11. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Not to mention the world's best connected airport.

ducnut likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Not as bad as I was gonna be…

Thanks for the setup. :D

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Go f yourself egg!

pickled egg likes this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

What was the highlight place of your time in Africa?

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Its a Chrysler Pacifica. The bike goes on a hitch hauler, so everything could conceivably fit in/on the van if I could find a secure indoor place for it. I'd need to access it a couple times in the fall and a couple times in the spring. $200 a month is nuts!

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

North Florida isn't too attractive to me from a weather standpoint, and we'd like to consider Miami for a future condo purchase, so it makes sense to setup down there, even if it means a long drive a few times a year to get to a good track.

RS250Ape likes this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I could road trip up there for a week or so, but wouldn't want to be based there. I like the Miami vibe.

18. Spang308

Buy a condo with a garage. Problem solved. The Kung Flu refugee rush is over and prices have leveled off or even backslid a bit.

motion likes this.
  19. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Not yet here down south (Dade,Broward and Plam Beach Counties), also HOA fees are starting to shoot through the roof along with home owners insurance and of course taxes ( paying a couple hundred thousand too much for a house a few years back is starting to hit people now). People will be heading out shortly.

motion and ducnut like this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You gotta’ go spend some real time in the new south Florida and see what it’s like, these days.

The winters of 2013-2015 versus moving there in 2020 was a staggering difference. Southeast FL has become so expensive people can no longer afford it. Many are moving over to Fort Myers-Naples areas, because it’s cheaper and a straight shot across to Miami to visit family. Then, throw in ~900 people a day moving into Florida, plus hurricanes (Ian was late-2022) wiping out thousands of homes at the same time, and you can imagine the chaos, right now. Again, there isn’t enough housing for all the people moving in and for those who recently lost their homes, which is why there’s no storage and people are living in motels. All this is, also, why rents have doubled, which has caused mass evictions, with people living on the street and even living in storage units. In 2023, over 300K people moved into FL, bringing the population to nearly 23M.

This is firsthand knowledge of developments I used to work in everyday, along the FM/Naples/I-75 corridor. When one of them was started, one could buy a basic spec for $199K. When it was started, it was designed for ~600 units. In 2 years, a basic spec became $799K, they developed all the green spaces and pushed the number of units to 1007, and all those people funnel in/out of two gates. In another, a developer had sold the first spec at $1.2M. By the third, that same floorplan sold at $5.4M. In another, quadplex townhomes sold at $700K. By the 4th quad, those units were sold at $1.5M. In addition, all these communities have ridiculous association fees and are ruled by nazis. A basic spec in Cape Coral used to be $179K. In one year, those same POS specs became $299K. The property taxes in south FL are ridiculous, as well. The taxes on the 2BR condo I lived in were $3600/yr, plus the nazis got $2700/yr, and insurance was $1300/yr.

I looked for storage in Fort Myers/Cape areas I know are safe. I could only find two outside, paved parking spaces, 24hr monitoring, built like a fortress, and they were $349/mo. I know of outside parking by Punta Gorda that’s ~$100/mo. But, it’s on grass, chainlink fence, and NOT monitored 24hrs a day.

I’d live somewhere off Mobile Bay, before I ever considered living in south Florida. If money isn’t much of a concern, I’d be right around Fairhope/Daphne, AL. Beautiful area, great year-around weather, less humidity, nicer people, nice motorcycle roads, and one can actually drive to retailers without sitting in endless traffic, watching the same stoplight cycle 3X before getting through the intersection.