1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mig Welders Miller vs Lincoln vs Hobart

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Jan 17, 2024.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

About time to replace my Lincoln Power Mig 216, which replaced my Lincoln Power Mig 255 that the mother board took a shit on. I really liked the 255.

Looking at the Hobart 240 that includes a spool gun for $2599. My only other experience with a Hobart was a little Hobart Handler flux core machine. Will I hate it? The Lincoln is substantially more W/O the spool gun, and the Miller even more than that.

Machine will be used for repairs and some fab work, but no production work.

2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I just picked up a Miller 255 last Friday, I was considering a used 350p but couldn't make the deal happen so I went the 255 route. I also have a 211 which is a capable machine up to 3/8", light and portable if you need to move the machine around alot.
    Can't get a replacement board for your Lincoln?
    I don't think you can go wrong with getting a Lincoln or Miller. I haven't owned a Hobart in years and they seem to have less bells and whistles. The duty cycle on it seems decent though.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I used to have a dual voltage Handler...maybe 210 that worked just fine. My only complaint was the Voltage was steps, not a pot. Not sure if the 240 is like that or not.

If you dont need a million settings/computer thingy majigs on the newer Blue or Red machines then the Hobart should be fine

4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all the Hobart stuff now (for the past 15-20 years or so), are just miller machines run through the bean counters aimed more at the home/hobby market. I used to have a hobart autoarc 140, which was identical to the miller autoarc 140, but without the all metal drive train. I have an older lincoln 180c now, and don't see me upgrading anytime in the future, so I can't comment on the current offerings.

What's wrong with the powermig 216?

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I think that's correct.

6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Hobart is the parent company for miller.

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Last I checked the board was $1800. Pretty sure I paid $2700 for the 216, which is still a legit welder on a Cart.

I should probably revisit the board for the 255.

8. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Get me a part number for that board of you want to go that route. Machine serial number,too.

GRH likes this.