1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RS 660 Data Channels

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Michael Bassani, Jan 13, 2024.

1. Michael Bassani

Michael Bassani Well-Known Member

Hey y'all,

I'm working on a project involving the Aprilia RS 660 and I've hit an impasse and I'm hoping someone here has the answers I'm looking for.

I am struggling to find any information on what channels are available for a Data Logger (AIM in this case) for an RS 660 with a stock ECU and ABS still enabled/connected.

All of the documentation available from AIM is for the RS 660 Trofeo, which has ABS disabled (but ABS ecu still connected) and the main ECU flashed which I assume removes some OEM data channels. All I am looking for is if someone has successfully connected their Data Logger to an RS 660 with OEM ECU + ABS still connected, and if so, can you share a screenshot of the data channels available?

I have tried contacting AIM about this but they are not sure what channels are available and have been looking for an answer. Two Daves Racing has an article going into connecting their Solo 2 DL to a Trofeo but I couldn't find anything about them connecting to a stock ECU. I have the entire data library from a front running Twins Cup MotoA team to build with, but they're not using a stock ECU and obviously do not run ABS.

If I have to manually create a CAN protocol I will, but I have neither an RS 660 or AIM Data Logger available until next month to do so and I'm trying to get ahead of this.

Thanks,

2. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

I have a friend’s solo2 file from a session. (RS660)
    Here are the channels you can view. The connection was through ODB2 port/canbus cable:
    I can look closer at anything shown here and let you know.
    upload_2024-1-13_18-37-5.png
    upload_2024-1-13_18-37-29.png
    upload_2024-1-13_18-37-56.png
    upload_2024-1-13_18-38-23.png
    upload_2024-1-13_18-38-42.png

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
  3. Michael Bassani

You’re a legend. Hours upon hours of research and I should have just asked someone sooner. Just to be clear, does his bike have ABS installed/enabled still?

The main channel I am looking for is Brake Pressure which the RSV4 has out of the box. I’d like to avoid adding a pressure sensor if I can avoid it and this is the main sticking point.

4. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

I'm not sure if his bike had ABS, I'm sure it probably did.
    I do not see any channels here for brake pressure. Sorry.

5. Michael Bassani

That's all good, you've saved me a ton of speculative work. Thank you very much!

BrentA likes this.
  6. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

You have to add a sensor, not available on the OEM CAN bus.

BrentA likes this.
  7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

We used the AIM channel expander and added the brake pressure sensor. Since our bike was ABS delete. Curious why you're leaving the ABS intact?

BrentA likes this.
  8. Michael Bassani

Likely going to use the ACC2 to get the analog to CAN conversion. Running an AIM SmartyCam 3 GP + GPS09. May need a Solo 2 DL since it's also unclear if the SmartyCam 3 GP can take a new CAN input on top of the ECU directly from an ACC2. If either of you happen to know off hand if the SmartyCam can support an ACC2 input I'd be all ears.

My requirements for this project are:

Front Facing Camera that overlays data onto video
    Front Brake Pressure
    Lap timer
    Easy operation (sure I could get video with a Go Pro or Insta 360, but the data sync to video afterwards adds too much time to the post production to make it viable for it's use case)

The SmartyCam 3 GP is the obvious pick, and I have 2 diagrams I just threw together for an ideal diagram that I hope works, and a not ideal diagram that I know works.

AIM Diagram Not Ideal.png AIM Diagram Ideal.png

As far as why leave ABS, it's a long story and something that I can't talk about publicly yet. There will be an announcement/press release in the next month or two.

Gino230 likes this.
  9. Gino230

When we have questions like this, we check with Chloe Lerin since she's kind of an AIM expert. My mechanic is an AIM dealer, he may know. I'll ask and see what I can find out.

10. Michael Bassani

Thanks dude, is Chole an AIM employee or just a super knowledgable user?

Thanks for checking with your mechanic

11. Gino230

I'm not sure, I know she's a data engineer and works for a few of the big teams. She's also completely outfitted her R6 with every AIM product imaginable!

Michael Bassani likes this.
  12. Michael Bassani

Just looked her up, I'm shocked I haven't met/heard of her before. Look like she knows her stuff

13. Gino230

My guy says the SmartyCam3 WILL accept a second CAN input aside from the ECU. So your plan should work if I'm understanding you correctly. He has one in stock. I can put you in touch if you want.

My 2cents- buy it from an AIM dealer like my guy or Chloe- who will be at the track and can help you with setup if needed. Best of luck with the project!

Michael Bassani likes this.
  14. Michael Bassani

That’s amazing news! Thank you, if it was one bike I would be less concerned about having a Solo 2 DL. Instead I’ve got 15 bikes to do this for.

I’ll share the good news with my team, thank you for digging in!