1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever done a Nitro Hillclimb?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I've seen this stuff before but I cannot shift my brain into the space of not only crafting one of these contraptions let alone piloting the damn thing.

Do you have to be nursing a previous brain injury? Is it the fumes from whatever tf they run in these things?

They don't even sound like normal motorcycles. They sound like a Johnson outboard on jet fuel being run out of the water.

There is no rhyme or reason to the engine configs either. Just whatever was laying around. Cram it in a dirtbike frame. The tires have paddles, spikes, steel plates, again whatever was laying around.

BrentA likes this.
  2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have a friend here in town that runs a supercharged Aprilia RSV1000 motor in his. I've seen photos of him halfway up the hill hanging onto the bars with his hands. The rest of his body is not even close to being on the bike.

TurboBlew, Steeltoe and Banditracer like this.
  3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

We got to the one north of Cincinnati (devils staircase) most years. It’s a kick ass event where they sell 1/2 gallon jugs of beer and all the drunk bikers fall down the spectator hill at the end of the day. Rowdy and awesome!

4. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

You got to see it in person, it's a insanely fun event.

5. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

It’s been decades but the memory of standing at the top of the hill at Saddleback when these things come rocketing up at you is still vivid. That and the damned hill is beyond steep, no way you could stand on it. Sort of make it or die trying. Guys standing at the top with ropes and hooks to save the bike. We think the stuff we do is crazy, this is a whole ‘nother thing. And Toe is right, the sound is unbelievable and the engineering is … well, ….

My dad watched Class A hill climbing back in the 30’s and described it pretty much the same.

TurboBlew and Steeltoe like this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I've done some insanely stupid things in my life but those hill climb bikes are even too insane for me. That'd be a "Fuck that shit Friday" episode all on it's own.

Racing up a hill that a mountain goat couldn't climb chased by what looks like a saw mill blade powered by an engine built by a redneck who could easily work for space X but is currently sticking a corvette crate motor in an Aztek because he just had both laying around and his neighbor got a Hellcat and ain't no way he's letting that pussy ass hillbilly beat him in a drag race..

7. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

:D. Couldn’t have said it better.

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Agreed. :D

9. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

We did a hare scramble at a popular spot that holds hillclimbs. At one part we came across the hillclimb section, but perpendicular to it. Briefly looked down as I came across, and quickly quenched that future hillclimb thirst:D

ToofPic likes this.
  10. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I finally spectated the local hill climb here in Anamosa, IA. It was fun to watch for an hour but I think in the grand scheme of things its just a bunny hill compared to the more well known events.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm sure. What I'm questioning is the lunatic participants. Those bikes are pure evil.

12. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

3d drag race with gravity return. Always thought it would be fun to watch, maybe even help on the hill, but do not have the cajones, or skill to even attempt trying to ride one up a hill.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If this doesn’t get me chicks, nothing will. Hold my beer!

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

This looks like the perfect 2 wheel sport for @motion & @BigBird . It mimics their investing strategy... a few bumps on the way up before spectacularly plummeting back to bone shattering reality and once your out of the hospital your broker than when you started.

:D

BigBird and Bugslayer like this.
  15. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Or else they make it to the top and you never hear from them again...

BigBird likes this.
  16. Riot

Riot Well-Known Member

Reminds me of bull riding. Even the most successful ride ends with being tossed like a rag doll!

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Do a search for Impossible Hill Climb…. Freaking nuts!

18. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

The euro ones I’ve seen are real crazy. Like no possible way to make it all the way up. The AMA ones are more about fastest one to the top. The bikes with sport bike motors are my favorite. They sound fuckin mean and a lot of them just have straight pipes. All the nitro ones have a guy at the starting line with a leaf blower to keep the fumes out of the riders face.

19. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

Back in the 80s multi time champ John Williams occasionally had his rig in a shop I ran out of.Dont recall it being nitro but it was powered by a Benelli 6 cyl and non of it was anywhere close to redneck.

20. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

An actual nitro bike, GSXR600. Guy with a leaf blower to keep the fumes away, LOL.

TurboBlew, 418, cpettit and 4 others like this.