1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM 500 what to avoid

Discussion in 'General' started by CR750, Jan 5, 2024.

1. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Thinking of replacing my DRZ400 with a used KTM 500 (or 450). The prices are starting to get low, I have seen a few for between 8 and 12K with supermoto wheels and low hours. What do I need to avoid?

Thanks
    Jon

2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Flipping it in 5th gear.

3. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

4. phillip doyle

phillip doyle Well-Known Member

Carburetor, be sure to get a fuel injected one. Pretty much a bullet proof engine. I use mine for dirt, supermoto and road. EXC versions are street legal from the factory.

CR750 likes this.
  5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The 'sweet' years are 2012 through 2016, those motors are bullet proof, but the bikes are slightly chonky on the scales. After that the 500s got lighter, but some feel reliability didn't quite keep up? I also haven't seen a big rash of blown up 500 discussions so some of that may be people assuming lighter == weaker without any events to back up that assumption? If racing them, short shift, ride the torque instead of trying to wind it out like a 450 and you'll be faster.

6. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I had a 2017 500 excf until last year. I rode it as a dual sport and put a bunch of miles on it with no significant work needed. I replaced the fuel pump before I sold it. That was it for real maintenance. It doesn’t run worth a crap with all the oem smog stuff and tuning. I removed everything, added an aftermarket slip on and the off road map and it ran great!

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I just picked up a 2012 350 EXC-W, and I'm having to adjust to not wringing it's neck as much as my KLX300. Not quite as beefy as a 450, but it's got at least 15hp on the Kaw, and quite a bit more torque. The group I ride with are predominantly KTM, and I've seen lots of fuel pump issues.

8. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about the 350 but every time I do not buy the "big motor" I end up regretting it. I got to ride a 350 for half a day on some tough single track and it was super nice. I want the 500 to do twisties (Tard wheels) and do single track and feel it will be a better platform.

9. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

My 500XC-W does that quite well, geared for Loudon it'll still happily putt-putt along at a walking pace and pull away cleanly with just a twist of the throttle. No drama, no lurching, no clutch slip needed, just smoothly go. It surprised the crap out of me when I ran it at Boxshop on Loudon gearing and it just worked. Try that with a 450 and you'll be HAAAAATING life. It'll turn around and happily sprint at 100mph after. It is a solid 60lbs heavier than my 150SX, so for proper tight singletrack it's more of a workout, and I feel it when I have to pick it up. The weight penalty vs a 350/450 is much smaller though.

11. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

That's my problem with anything more than the 350. I'm old. I find myself holding my breath when I'm pushing a 450 or 500, rather than flowing. Arm pump galore. It's more of a mental thing, but I can't seem to overcome it. Don't need a 450 anyways, as I'm as fast as the punks on bigger bikes. At least for a few laps...lol.

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Try a 500 if you get a chance, they don’t have that ‘snap’ that the 450s do, they can hustle but it’s never urgent or surprsing. Let the revs drop and you can whiskey throttle, it’ll pull but you’ll have warning before the bad thing happens unlike the 450s that wake up INSTANTLY once you hit the magic RPM.

13. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

I am pushing 60 so I have no urge to prove anything in the dirt. I always seem to get where I want without injury so that is the goal. My buddy and I did the tour of Idaho in 2019 and he rode a KTM 500 and I developed a fascination with the platform (ok I had bike envy BAD). I would have bought one, but prices went full retard during COVID. They are better now, I was just looking a 2016 with dirt wheels, warp 9 tard wheels, rear shock, pipe with 1K miles 50 hours for 6 grand.

14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  15. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Coming from an 09 Ktm 300 two stroke, I rode some of the gnarliest trails in the country out west with my 23 500, and not once did I wish I was on the 300. The 500 is an incredible machine!!! Do it!

edit:
    I did put an ecu and exhaust on it. That’s a must.

Once a Wanker.. and Phl218 like this.
  16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

And just think, that $6k spend will contribute to the delinquency of an adult! That's my 500, if you've got any questions let me know.

Once a Wanker.. and dave3593 like this.
  17. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Hey buddy, you are never too old to be a juvenile delinquent :). Thanks

Kurlon likes this.
  18. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

I had a Beta 350, loved riding it! It got hot at anything slow, as in "normal woods riding". I never got the optional fan installed, sold it instead. The power was plenty for off-road as everyone says, probably not a good fit for a road course bigger than a cart track.

I later owned an 16' 500XC-F, street legal conversion. I agree with all sentiments above, motor makes you a hero. It will bite if mistreated, but so will anything else with 2 wheels. I can imagine it would be a rip with Sumo wheels, say at Little Tally?

Life is short, get the toys you want sooner than later.

19. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

I have 12 500 . It needed an ECU as the stock would flame out , surge , etc . It rips !

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ride a counter balanced 250 or 300 2T... I can ride 100+ miles of single track a day with ease. Did 200+ miles in south Jersey at the Hammer Run in November... the dirt was primo and we got to ride around NJMP.
    The only down side of the newer KTMs (2017+)is the OC Xplor fork. You can do $200 1/2 measure mid valves or just bite the bullet for a quality cartridge setup that actually has working clickers & each side has compression/rebound.
    Also the master of WP suspension... KREFT has shut its doors.

Ive seen alot of farkled up 500s where the owners hadnt spend a penny on suspension.