1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

@HPPT
    Debuted at ~$50 in 2020ish, now at $6.xx

What makes you think they have something worth while to boost those shares?

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

@motion & @Bird recently issued a "Buy" recommendation.

Oh wait ... that "Buy" recommendation was issued in Jan 2021.

BigBird and Jedb like this.
  3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Its Biotech. They all look like a roller coaster. Ooh I hear XYK corp has a new ED drug in stage 1 trials....stock goes up. Drug falls out of stage 1...stock tanks.....ED drug may actually help increase penis size....stock goes way up....turns out it it doers that...but also causes random permanent blindness. FDA approves drug and stock goes way up. Buys smaller company that is developing cure for blindness caused by 1st drug.

rinse and repeat.

So for Papa's stock it sounds like people are starting to speculate that something, somewhere in their pipeline or IP may be going somewhere. It could go back to $60...or to zero-ish in a matter of weeks.

Is Pelosi or anyone else in congress buying it? If so buy it strong.

Jedb and YamahaRick like this.
  4. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

@ChemGuy covered it.

I typically wait for Biotechs to have sufficiently crashed and watch price patterns for months before I start playing with the volatility. But even then, I try to pick companies that have products making progress through the clinical trial phases. I have learned in the years doing this that the biggest trap seems to be companies with an actual good product but that to run out of money before they can bring it to market.

6. ChemGuy

I wish I could have enjoyed Organic Chem enough to stay in Biotech. Going to college in San Diego...lots of companies there....I worked at Neurocrine pre IPO. As an "intern" I didnt get options but we did have an employee stock program. I think my strike price was ~$6-8/share. When I left it was in the teens. Its been over a hundred...a few times I think. Some of the early people there with degrees and such had options in the $1-3 range...like thousands of options.

It only takes one big 'maybe' in the pipeline for the stock to explode and if you can sell your options you can have a nice chunk of $$$. Rinse and repeat every 5-10 years and after a career you can be pretty well set. If you get lucky.

7. ChemGuy

Effing Rivian and Effing traders....they missed Q4 delivery expectation by 3%.....~400 units.....so of course, rationally you would expect the stock to TANK.....down ~10% as a I write this.

BigBird likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

and either later today or tomorrow, it'll be back...they know what they are doing in the dump and pump

9. ChemGuy

Oh I know...I was finally happy to see it starting to materially move up. Its been going down since like 2 days after I bought it. I am so far in the red on it I couldnt see black with the James Webb telescope....

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

ChemGuy likes this.
  11. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Regarding biotech stocks.

I bought some HGSI, Human Genome Sciences Inc, way back when. I bought it at about $116/share and the next day I sold half of it at $256/share, holding on to the remaining shares. A few years later I sold them for pennies. Essentially, I neither made nor lost much on it.

auminer and BigBird like this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I’m waiting for the NFTs to take off, that’s some real, tangible value right thar I tell yoo wut!

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Get in early....

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And often....

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

That sector scares me...not as much as bitcoin, but enough. But please do keep the tips coming...I've got some good liquidity right now and not seeing too many things I'd consider bargains besides PYPL.

18. ChemGuy

BigBird likes this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

What color crayon should he send his CV over in?

Hawk518 and BigBird like this.