1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Concert

Discussion in 'General' started by PMooney Jr., Dec 21, 2023.

1. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Some bands make deals with the devil, some are just hitting the right frequencies and in tune with the universe

27 likes this.
  2. 27

27 Well-Known Member

that 1991 Pearl Jam/Grant Lee Buffalo show I mentioned the chick that a buddy was dating worked at a Ticketmaster outlet and sniped the tix so we had to take her with us…. Chicago to Cleveland all we heard was her saying Violent Femmes were opening for PJ… I didn’t even know what a Violent Femme was but was damn tired of hearing about them :D She wasn’t even hot but we told our buddy he had to keep doing her as she always got tickets for everything that sold out instantly…. He definitely took one for the team :)

CBRRRRR999 and motoboy like this.
  3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Reading this thread and thinking back over all the shows I've worked on since '96. Tina 24/7 tour is still the best.

Attached Files:

cha0s#242 likes this.
  4. rain directer

rain directer Member

Led Zeppelin, March, 1970, the Spectrum in Philly. Opened with “Whole Lotta Love”. They layer Introduced a song from their “upcoming album” (LZ III) due out later that year: Immigrant Song.

Moody Blues, September, 1970, the Spectrum in Philly. Made a bet with my brother as to the opening song. I won with “Gypsy.” Ray Thomas broke his flute moments before they were due on stage, An announcement - a plea, in reality - WS made to borrow a flute from anyone that was present that had one with them. A guy from Penn State Ogontz campus had his and it was used during the show.

Judy Collins at Mitten Hall, Temple University, fall, 1969(?). Front row.

Kansas, 1976(?), Montco (PA) CC. The college hired local cops for security. Needed guys to be inside the hall as stage security. I was not selected at first but replaced a guy that said he couldn’t }stand the noise” after the 2nd song. I was next man up, so I got to be inside and get paid to be at a concert.

tl1098 and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  5. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

It's funny that a bunch of people mention the Moody Blues, when I saw them they could easily go in the worst concert thread. I was very disappointed.

6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Yoyo Ma at UW-LaCrosse, 1976. Had to attend for Music Appreciation class. What a great performance.

CBRRRRR999 and Steeltoe like this.
  7. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

One of the best was Weird Al. The band was excellent, and they put on a awesome show. Ugly Kid Joe, Kix, Iron Maiden Queensryche and many more, way to many really good shows to pick just one

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I met him in a swamp down on Dagoba
    Where it bubbles all the time
    Like a giant carbonated soda
    S.O.D.A soda

I saw the little runt sitting there on a log
    I asked him his name
    and in a raspy voice he said Yoda
    Y.O.D.A. Yoda
    Yo Yo Yo Yo Yodaaaaaaa

Weird Al is fantastic in concert!

9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I only know the Knights in white satin song, if that’s them… and it makes me imagine it’s just dudes jammin on acid and in order to tolerate it you’d have to be tripping too :D

britx303 likes this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Anyone heard from @motion and how good the Adele show was?

motion likes this.
  11. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

It’s actually “nights”……not knights. I “think” it’s about an affair or something along that line

27 likes this.
  12. britx303

There’s a black and white video of a small venue in France. It’s pretty good and to watch the musicianship up close, they ain’t bad. Gets a little arty farty at moments but not too bad. I listen to them out of nostalgia and memories of my Dad. He was into the mod stuff back in the 60’s before hippying out. Moody Blues I associate more with mod than hippy…….makes it less embarrassing for me :crackup:

27 likes this.
  13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

wow… odd how the brain works…. For absolutely no reason that song was about some Excalibur types riding around in white cloaks to me… I only know that one line… subliminal programming I’m sure… interesting interscoping there

CBRRRRR999 and britx303 like this.
  14. britx303

Yep, me too. Thought it was some King Arthuresque thing til I got older

15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

there has to be a reason… wonder why? MK Ultra shit I’m sure ;)

britx303 likes this.
  16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

did I miss him going again?

he skipped his dude date for Adele with Wingnut during the F1….. :D

motion likes this.
  17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Man I worked for that band and I thought the same thing until now lol!

27 likes this.
  18. As many as I’ve been to over the years Foo Fighters in 2018 in atl. Went last minute. GA floor seats. Arrived 10 min before the show. They had a part of the stage that went out (picture a T). Said to the wife let’s stay at the end of this thing, I’m not trying to get near the front least we will see the one or two times he’s out here. DG was aout there a good 80% of the show. The concert was just a couple hours of a concert and not some theatrical performance. Foo fighters always have a good vibe at their shows and if you’ve ever been to one and ever had any doubts of how great of a true musician DG is this will put that to an end. Taylor went to Clairmont lounge night before and wore a t shirt. Thought that was funny. Watching how intense he is in person was pretty cool.

19. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I’m gonna take some heat for these but the wife dragged me to the first two. The best one I’ve been to hands down was Bruno Mars. We got tickets through pre sale of the 24K Magic album and ended up dead center in the eleventh row, that definitely helped add to the whole experience.

A close second is Scott Bradlee’s Post Modern Jukebox. Absolutely not in my wheelhouse but again went per the wife’s request. They cover modern hits in a 20’s flapper style. I can’t listen to it for more than about 20 minutes in the car but they put on a hell of a show line.

I think going in with zero expectations helped for both of those. Now to get some cool points back I got to see RATM in high school in about a 5,000 seat amphitheater. The show itself doesn’t stand out so much, seeing Tom was cool, but the pit was one of the craziest I was ever in. I had made it just about to the front and then before they were even on stage they hung an upside American flag over some gear and people were moshing with no music. Not gonnna lie, I got scared and moved out a bit.

As many times as Cake has been mentioned I really wish I had caught them.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I've only seen recordings of Bruno Mars and what I've seen is approaching Prince level. Dude is a magnetic performer.

GixxerJohn011 and Sabre699 like this.