1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rabaconda Street Tire Changer- Does anyone have experience with it?

Discussion in 'General' started by darkgoblin, Dec 18, 2023.

1. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I may, but I just bought the hitch attachment and would like to give it a try before I give up. If so I'll let you know.

darkgoblin and BrentA like this.
  3. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

I've got one, been using it for a while now. If the wheel is off the bike the change will take 5 minutes. It's just like any other tool though, you need to get experience using it to get really comfortable with it. Highly recommend it!

The Todd and darkgoblin like this.
  4. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

I have a Rabaconda (had it for a year or so) and I've probably changed 20 tires with it. It works great for tubeless tires with standard through axles. Anything else (tubes, single-sided swingarms, etc.) is more difficult, but doable. I've done everything from a scooter to a Harley, but the Rabaconda is really designed for a tubeless tire / through axle setup.

Before I got the Rabaconde I changed hundreds of tires on the garage floor with tire irons. I finally got too old to enjoy the wrestling match, but that experience helped me immensely when I started using the Rabaconda. You can see when little things are starting to go wrong and fix them before you get to the "why the fuck isn't this thing working" stage. I think it would be a little challenging to learn to use a Rabaconda if you didn't have some experience changing tires by hand.

If you buy one, get a gallon of Ru-Glyde and a brush from Amazon and one drop center tool from rabaconda. That's really all you need. You may need the small axle attachment if you're going to be doing Ninja 250s and the like.

One cool thing about the Rabaconda is that it breaks down into pieces that fit into a nylon bag about half the size of a set of golf clubs. I've actually strapped it on the back of one of my bikes and taken it into work to change tires there. You ain't doing that with a NoMar.

If anyone in the Jax, FL area wants to see it in action, let me know and I'll ping you next time I'm changing a tire.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have the dirt tire Rabaconda... its an awesome tool for what it is. I got one of those introductary deals with the spoons, etc... it was ~$450 delivered a couple of years ago. Ive done ~ 100 tires for friends & riding club members. Ive done ALOT of fixing hack shop jobs on tubliss & mousses.
    I also have a No Mar Pro machine if you wanted to compare.
    Im over on the Intracoastal side of Jax.

Jim Moore likes this.
  6. backho

backho Well-Known Member

I’ve been using an Olmax Motors changer after struggling with a China Fright changer with a NoMar bar. The duckhead on the Olmax makes a world of difference. Only awkward if you don’t have a table to keep from working on the floor

darkgoblin likes this.
  7. darkgoblin

darkgoblin Well-Known Member

I just watched a video of a guy using this with a Road 5, seemed pretty easy while working on a table. But is it heavy enough to stay in place while rotating the bar? Do you have yours mounted or just free sitting on a table?

8. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

The No Mar is great until you're not doing a Pirelli, Michelin, or Bridgestone.

MGFChapin likes this.
  9. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Pneumatic machines definitely make mounting tires easier. The manual changers work very well but technique is important. And No Mar and others sell tools that can help tremendously; like the Yellow Thing.
    I'm still using the HF changer I bought 20 years ago. Stiff tires are a pain and often require a second set of hands to help get the tire on the rim. Thankfully I don't do many of those tires.

rd400racer likes this.
  10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I've got one in/around Philadelphia if interested.

Was like RD400 and had a Nomar that was too much of a PITA to use, so bit the bullet and got a pneumatic through TLR.

Never going back to that manual bullshit again.............

Wheel Bearing and Boman Forklift like this.
  11. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

12. MGFChapin

MGFChapin Well-Known Member

That’s a typo or a scam. Maybe both?

The Todd likes this.
  13. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Dude you should buy 10 of them, then resell for a tidy profit.

The Todd likes this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have one I'd sell cheap, but I'm in Montana and I don't know how one would ship this thing.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Same in Philadelphia if anyone’s local there (although if you are, you’re welcome to use my pneumatic whenever you’d like).

The Todd likes this.
  16. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

How much for it shipped? Asking for a friend.

17. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

The key to the manual changers is to learn the technique...that makes it really easy.

Don't try it 2-3 times and then give up because it's too hard. Watch the NoMar instructional videos then copy EXACTLY what they do, the tires will go on and off like butter.

I have a harbor freight one that I've made some modifications to and it's paid for itself multiple times. I also bought a spare set of wheels and can have fresh tires already mounted before I leave home. I welded up a hitch mount too so I can use it at the track if needed. I use a short piece of bar stock as a wheel stop to keep it from rotating. I had some hefty HDPE inserts made for the the clamping points that hold the wheels so they don't get scratched. Also have a NoMar bar and a homemade bar with a duckhead just so I could see which I like better.

All I all it was a fun little project tinkering to find ways to make improvements. But it's really easy to change tires with.

The Todd likes this.
  18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The Todd likes this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'd let it go for $300 plus shipping, assuming I can take it apart and box it up. But, I'm not back in the USA until late May.

20. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

I’ve got a Rabaconda street bike model. I machined some single sided swingarm spacers and bolt it to my garage floor when using. Used drop-in anchors. Back the bolts out when done and store the unit wherever. Works as intended. Nice product.

Attached Files: